Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why so many internet warnings on an unzipped zip file?

I sent myself a zip folder with several pictures in it. When I downloaded the file, selected all the pictures and tried to open them all simultaniously, an internet warning popped up for only one picture. I had to open each photo individually and approve each one individually. Needless to say, it was really, really annoying.

This doesn't usually happen. I regularly download zips and rars that other people have posted online, opened them all and only recieved one warning message. I don't understand. Is it because the zip was made by a Windows computer?

(On a slightly different note, the internet warning is annoying and slightly condescending. No duh it was downloaded from the internet. A very large portion of the time we download it ourselves. That's the kind of obnoxious, inefectual security measures that made Windows infamous.)

Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Sep 15, 2011 5:40 PM

2 replies

Sep 15, 2011 5:48 PM in response to LizardFish

The reason for the warning is that under Windows that is a popular transportation mode for virus, malware. It is best to be safe then sorry, Most windows server administrator will not let zip files be sent over their networks. Using a Mac, viruses are not an issue, but if you have a Windows partition on your Mac it is possible that you can unzip a infected file that could damage it.

Why so many internet warnings on an unzipped zip file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.