Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Annoying problem involving PS

Actually, this is a problem with all of my Adobe apps. Whenever I quit an Adobe application such as Photoshop, a message pops up telling me that the application has "quit unexpectedly." Duh! That message is the first nuisance. I click OK and continue whatever I was doing. Then, a short time later, my browser opens automatically and an Adobe problem-reporting page appears. This is getting to be a pain. Does anyone have any knowledge how I can stop this from happening?

iPod classic, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iPad-1 IOS 4.3.5

Posted on Sep 15, 2011 6:54 PM

7 replies

Sep 15, 2011 11:35 PM in response to Philly_Phan

That's not normal, if you see "unexpectedly quit" all the time it actually means all those apps are constantly crashing. When you quit, they're supposed to just quit, without complaining. Constant crashing doesn't happen to most people using those apps, so something has gone wrong on your specific system. Try reinstalling them, or it is sometimes caused by a bad font or bad preferences file. You may have to use process of elimination to determine where the problem is exactly, since the problem is not typical (there is no quick answer).

Also try using and quitting the same apps in another user account. If they unexpectedly quit there, the problem may be at the system level (i.e. the Applications folder). If they do not unexpectedly quit in the other user account, the problem is with a file inside the user account you normally use. Again, process of elimination will help narrow it down.

Sep 16, 2011 4:43 AM in response to Network 23

Well, of course I know that it's not normal. Duh!

In any event, the problem repeats in other accounts, including a new test account I created. I browsed the Adobe web site and was able to fix the problem in CS5. I have not yet investigated the other Adobe applications. I am still a bit confused. I went to PS and disabled the "Additional Plug-ins" folder. That eliminated the "unexpected quit" messages. I fully expected that the plugins that are in that folder would no longer function but they're working just fine! Now, it's a matter of academic curiosity. FWIW, the plugins are from Topaz.

Sep 16, 2011 6:23 AM in response to Alexs25

Alexs25 wrote:

What about repairing permissions? Maybe deleting the com.adobe.photoshop.plist file and restarting the program? 😐

I use CS5 Extended and all Topaz plugins with no trouble

Thanks but I tried those solutions with no success. I did fix it with the plugins folder (see above) but I still don't understand what's going on.

Sep 16, 2011 8:38 AM in response to Alexs25

Alexs25 wrote:

What about repairing permissions? Maybe deleting the com.adobe.photoshop.plist file and restarting the program? 😐

I use CS5 Extended and all Topaz plugins with no trouble

I got the following from Topaz. I followed their advice and re-eabled the plugin folder. All is still OK.

There is an incompatibility with the automate feature of ReMask 3 with certain Mac machines. If you recently installed ReMask 3, are on a Mac computer and are experiencing this issue then please delete Macintosh HD / Library / Application Support / Topaz Labs / ReMask 3 / plugins / TopazRemaskAutomate.plugin

After that, restart Photoshop and you should no longer see this issue on exit.

Annoying problem involving PS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.