Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why iMac crashes on alternative loads when filevault is active?

Hello!

I've an issue with an late-2009 27" iMac with 10.6.8. The user actived FileVault a few days ago. Since that, always he boots his computer, desktop freezes after login alternatively. I mean, the 1st boot freezes, you reset (pressing the button), the 2nd boots up normaly, and if you turn off and on, or just reboot on a regular way, it freezes again and you need to reset again.

When it freezes up, you still can move the mouse's cursor, but:

• Icons in desktop don't load.
  • Icons in menu bar don't load.
  • Dock sometimes loads, sometimes doesn't.
  • Any key-combination (like cmd+alt+esc) makes appear the spinning beach ball.

After disabling FileVault, iMac boots up perfectly.

Any idea on why is this happening? Thanks!!!

Posted on Sep 15, 2011 11:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2011 11:42 PM

That really sounds like file corruption, somewhere. I suggest you download a System Utility app (like Yasu - there are a number of them), clear out all otf the cache files, update the prebindings, clear the swap files and check permissions - everything you think sensible - and try it again. you might aslo try deleting the Finder preference file (~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Finder.plist)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2011 11:42 PM in response to J_JuMp

That really sounds like file corruption, somewhere. I suggest you download a System Utility app (like Yasu - there are a number of them), clear out all otf the cache files, update the prebindings, clear the swap files and check permissions - everything you think sensible - and try it again. you might aslo try deleting the Finder preference file (~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Finder.plist)

Sep 16, 2011 12:25 AM in response to twtwtw

Thanks for the advice! I've already tried reparing permissions, and I think if it was related with Finder prefs, should affect with or without FileVault, isn't it?

About Yasu, didn't know that utility, is that similar to OnyX? This evening will try, unless the user decides not keep using FileVault (not national-security files in the computer).

Why iMac crashes on alternative loads when filevault is active?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.