Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Firewall keeps asking for java to allow incoming connections

When I log into my bank on the web, I use a java applet for identification.

Since upgrading to Lion everytime there pop up a little window asking me to allow the Java applet to accept incoming connections. The popup window only flashes for a second and then disapperars. Sometimes this happens twice. I don not have do to anything, nor have I the time to do it before the popup window disappeares, and the login procedure then goes on as normal.

User uploaded file

I have checked, and Java is set tho allow incoming connections in the firewall settings.

User uploaded file

This is not a huge problem, since everything is working as normal, but it is a little bit annoying.

This is almost similar to the iTunes situation where you have to allow incoming connections every time you start iTunes. This was solved by removing iTunes from the list of accepted apps, deleting iTunes and redownloading it from Apple.

Any ideas?

Posted on Sep 16, 2011 2:32 AM

2 replies

Nov 2, 2011 1:22 PM in response to viking bear

I hit the same problem. In my case the problem was related to a downloaded JDK that included source code for Java development. This new JDK was installed at the default location /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0_26-b03-383.jdk/. Some of my scripts use this version of Java and those are the ones that were giving the warning. I was not able to add this Java to firewall settings because the stupid UI would not allow me to navigate to that directory. I am not sure what prevented it from going past /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0_26-b03-383.jdk/ directory but that was the reason why I could not add an allow rule for that java executable. Anyways, the command line solution to this was to run -

sudo /usr/libexec/ApplicationFirewall/socketfilterfw --add /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0_26-b03-383.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java

This added the second java into firewall rules. In your case I would suspect there is another version of java executable that is run to the one that you have already allowed. If you right click and the java rule and do show in finder you will probably be able to figure out if you are indeed using the allowed java.

Jul 31, 2013 8:41 AM in response to viking bear

I also have the same problem with a Java application. Every time I open the application a popup appears asking me if I want to allow incoming connections.

The thing is, I already allowed this appliaction in the firewall list. Tried to delete it and add it again and the problem persists.

I'm using a mac application (.app) that is java coded. It's not even a jar file, so I don't understand.

This is really annoying, hope it gets fixed soon.

Firewall keeps asking for java to allow incoming connections

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.