Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lossless Library - lossy conversion for iPhone, iPod

Hi Guys, I know this topic has already been discussed, but is there a way to import CDs in a lossless format and convert the songs for iPhone, iPod in different bitrate than the preset 128kbs? This option is fixed and cannot be changed. I prefer listening to songs in 192kbs because 128kbs is not a big deal and want to use the lossless ones for my hi-fi. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

HP, Windows Vista

Posted on Sep 16, 2011 4:30 AM

2 replies

Sep 16, 2011 8:38 AM in response to AGA123

AGA123 wrote:

Hi Guys, I know this topic has already been discussed, but is there a way to import CDs in a lossless format and convert the songs for iPhone, iPod in different bitrate than the preset 128kbs? This option is fixed and cannot be changed. I prefer listening to songs in 192kbs because 128kbs is not a big deal and want to use the lossless ones for my hi-fi. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I have not seen any posts listing a way to override the standard 128kbps AAC option (for automatic downscaling). However remember a 128kbps AAC file is considered by many to be equivalent to between 192kbps and 256kbps MP3.

Are you using the standard Apple ear-buds? Most people consider these also to be limited in quality meaning you are less likely to notice the difference between 128kbps AAC and anything higher.

Sep 16, 2011 8:57 AM in response to John Lockwood

Hi John,

thanks for your answer. I do use the standard Apple ear-buds and a pair of senns as well. Unfortunately, I am a "bat" so I can hear the difference between 192kbps and 128kbps. I am not saying it is that significant, but sure the music lacks depth, etc... Anyway I was just curious wheter anybody came across a way how to override that. I would be happy to have an option here as well, when you can choose the bitrate when importing CDs, then why not here. Thanks anyway.

Lossless Library - lossy conversion for iPhone, iPod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.