Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Version *naming* possible in Lion?

I have not yet upgraded to Lion, and before I do I need one question clearly answered concerning automatic saves and file versions in Lion.

The question is, can one name versions of a document (of any kind) and then browse for and open that specific version. If "Yes", then the loss of "Save as" isn't so bad. If "No", then Apple really screwed it.

In case you didn't get that, suppose you have a file called ModelNamePrettyPic.jpeg. You may have many versions of that file, but the version you sold to the Times needs more than a filename and sea of versions. It needs a filename AND a version name (perhaps sometiming like Times Cover September Issue;1479). Then we know exactly where we are. Not all versions need a name, but one or more most definitely do.

So, does Lion do version names? This isn't just date and time, I need to give my versions meaningful names. If cannot do that, I certainly cannot use Lion in its current implementation.

Answers please,

Stephen.

Posted on Sep 16, 2011 6:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2011 6:36 AM

You can't do that with the automatic autosave versions, but you can choose 'Duplicate' and rename the file when you know you have a specific iteration that you want to keep separate ('duplicate' is just 'save as...' with an extra click).

7 replies

Sep 16, 2011 9:32 AM in response to stephenanders

duplicate creates and opens a copy named "filename copy" and leaves the original file open also. when you save the copy for the first time, you get to rename it.

problem is, if you work on a file and it gets autosaved before you've duplicated it, you're relying on versions to do its job properly. i have already lost data through unwanted autosaving and, evidently, problems with versioning that didn't allow me to retrieve the file in the state in which i opened it.

Sep 16, 2011 5:12 PM in response to igmackenzie

sorry if that was unclear, i meant the first time you save any given duplicate. obviously, if you duplicate it twice you get to rename both duplicates.

by the way, stephen, it just occurred to me to mention that the applications must be written to support this feature, so if you don't like it, it's only a problem with apple apps at the moment. my version of office etc. is blissfully unaware of this brave new world.

Aug 10, 2012 5:10 AM in response to stephenanders

You can say that again. The whole autosave/removal of the 'Save As' functionality has been an utter screw up. Steve Jobs said .Mac and Mobileme wasn't their finest hour because it didn't do what it was meant to. Well this situation isn't far off. The most intuative operating system just became confusing and counter and intuitive.

I've been keeping an eye on this stupid amendment to the Mac OSX operating system since it came to light in Lion. Despite all the other improvements in Mountain Lion, by not reinstating the basic Save As functionality that I have had as a MAC user for the past 16 years, it basically makes it a less helpful OS. It takes longer to use time machine and doing the work arounds etc. than just keeping various drafts with different file names for my work.

I need to buy a new macbook pro and have been holding out for the function to be restored. I don't think that this'll ever happen now and Apple are guilty of not listening to their customers. Looks like Windows 8 might get a new customer....and I never thought I'd hear myself say that. Sigh😟

Version *naming* possible in Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.