Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happened to "Sort by Color" in Mail?

In conjunction with SpamSieve, I used to use (10.6 and earlier) "Sort by color" in mail to be able to easily purge the spammiest emails I received once they landed in my trash. This appears to have been removed from Lion mail (although you can still color mail messages).

Any idea how to get it back or to be able to sort a mail folder "by color"?

TIA, Steve

PS: I looked, but there's no discussion forum section dedicated to mail, or I would have posted this there... 🙂

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Sep 16, 2011 7:27 AM

2 replies

Nov 9, 2011 7:01 PM in response to parkerpress

I'm having the same issue - I called customer care and they said there is not way to sort by color in Lion. You have to use 'Flags', but with only seven Flags: and no way to create new ones or change the colors of them - this isn't a viable option.

Also, it's not that quick - and ou have to hit the drop down to select the flag - not like the color code where you can have it open and it's just one click. I hope they update this funciton and bring it back.

Nov 5, 2012 3:20 PM in response to Czecka

I share your frustration. I have SpamSieve set up to automatically give my unwanted mail a gray background, but it all ends up scattered through my trash mail--some of which I want to hang on to for a while. It used to be a breeze to sort by color, choose my gray files, and toss 'em. Now, like much of my mail, they're stored on iCloud, running up a bill and taking too long to toss. I can't believe that Apple dropped this simple feature I depended on so much!

What happened to "Sort by Color" in Mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.