Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quick Look not loading bundles

I've gone and done something silly, and now I need to figure out how to undo what I've broken.

First a little background: I was going though my process tree in Activity Monitor, looking for whatever app was blocking a game I was running. Without thinking too much about it I shut-down Quicklook with no noticeable effect so I didn't think too much about it.

After I a reboot, I've discovered I have a bit of a problem though: It seems something about Quicklook cannot load it's bundles. If I click on a file (most often a media file like a JPEG, MOV, or AVI) OS/X tries to load the thumbnail in the final preview column (under column view) and the poor OS will all but stall out. Eventually after upwards of a minute OS/X grunts its way through and I'm left with red lettering where the thumbnail should be that reads something to the effect of "Can't load preview bundles". (**I'm on my Linux machine @ work. I'll update this with the exact wording later when I get home.) After the initial failure the OS won't stall again until after another reboot, but once the stall has happened there are no preview capabilities for anything anymore.

What I've been trying to figure out is how the Quicklook subsystem works and where to start troubleshooting this issue. It feels very much like a corrupted database kind of thing - with the long timeout and all - and that suggests maybe looking at Spotlight first. However, the error is complaining about not being able to load bundles - which seem to be more specifically related to Quicklook.

I'd appreciate any input with regards to either the Spotlight subsystem or the Quicklook subsystem, or even if you've seen this behaviour before and know of a fix.

Series-1 Intel iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), CoreDuo (2GB)

Posted on Sep 16, 2011 11:38 AM

2 replies

Sep 20, 2011 3:40 PM in response to valenceparadigm

Okay... For all of you lookie-loos that have come by and have not contributed, I'm assuming that you're either curious or unfortunately looking to fix the same problem.

The good news is the problem has been resolved. The bad news is the resolution came in such a way that the true cause of the problem is indeterminate.

It turned out that my vintage 2006 OEM 250GB Western Digital drive developed a bucket-load of bad sectors. S.M.A.R.T. checked-out, but when I went to "repair" the drive, Drive Utility said it couldn't continue and that I needed to re-format the drive. Upon repartitioning the drive I noticed that I'd lost 36MB of space. Somewhat of an inconsequential number, but when a drive starts indescriminately throwing sectors, most of which are at the head of the volume, I'm not about to take any chances. The drive was also quite slow to go through the inital steps of setting up the filesystem.

A new drive means, of course, a re-install of the OS. It didn't make sense to try and restore a suspect filesystem completely from backup. Again, this obviously fixed the problem, but now I'll never know for certain if it was the bad sectors that just happened to land in the place where the bundles were stored, or if it was a corrupt database, filesystem (Splitting hairs, I know.) , or broken/misconfigured setting.

Hope this helps.

Quick Look not loading bundles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.