Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mounting a remote (not on same network) hard drive to another mac

I'm trying to find out if it is possible to mount a remote computer/server's hard drive or share to another computer. I want to be able to exchange, create or modify the files. I know you can do a remote desktop but I'm not looking to share the screen just to mount the hard drive. I've researched many articles and keeps taking me back to various types of screen shares. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Sep 16, 2011 2:43 PM

2 replies

Oct 1, 2011 7:11 AM in response to Qwest318

The 2 approaches I have used in the past are

Hamachi <https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/> which is an easy to setup VPN. Free for personal use on a limited number of systems.

And using ssh tunnels. While there are some ssh GUI interfaces that will help setup the tunnels, you will still need to do remote router configurations (port forwarding) that allow ssh connections from the internet to the target Mac. You could do some Google searching on "Port Fowarding ssh" and "Mac OS X ssh afp tunnels"

Mounting a remote (not on same network) hard drive to another mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.