Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

about to throw in the towel! I'm admitting defeat...

...any info out there on how to do a simple MIDI recording from a guitar. I'm finding LOGIC is far from intuitive and difficult to understand. Are there videos that show a step by step of recording an instrument into a channel strip. I'm looking at the manual but having trouble understanding some of the terminology and not asking the questions in the right manner to get the right answers. In the littany of literature on any software out there it's easy to waste too much money and not come out ahead. Is there a LOGIC for DUMMIES? I want to get past GARAGEBAND but would like a little shortcut into LOGIC. Lost in LOGIC land. Ciao

Posted on Sep 16, 2011 10:03 PM

11 replies

Sep 17, 2011 1:12 AM in response to Brian Anderson3

So you wanna record midi from a guitar right? Midi can't be recorded just like that from a guitar you need a specific type of instrument i.e this http://www.guitarzone.co.uk/view-product/Godin-xtSA-Red-Electro-Acoustic-Midi-Gu itar

i hope this help for an understanding logic is a fantastic tool once you get to know it trust me, also don't jump the gun with the whole midi guitar recording just get to know it, know some of the shortcuts

hope this helps

Hmzen

Sep 17, 2011 5:42 AM in response to hmzen

Hello Hmzen. I've actually loaded in MIDI guitar in to GARAGEBAND and it worked beautifully...it'san EASTMAN AR810 thru a SONUUS G2M MIDI converter and GARAGEBAND nearly does it by itelf...so I figured LOGIC may be a bit more sophisticated...but I found it too much so. All the terminology has got me confused as how to set up ...in layman's terms...the LOGIC interface to import the MIDI signal from my guitar...that is to say...record an event?(I think). Thanks for responding Hmzen

Sep 17, 2011 7:17 AM in response to Brian Anderson3

As hmzen said Logic is a wonderful tool. In general, recording in logic offers you two types of tracks:

1) software instrument

2) audio

I think to record MIDI guitar through the devices you have you are gonna want software instrument. The trick is going to be how to get the channeling right. MIDI offers different channels and you need to insure that your MIDI out from your device is transmitting MIDI events on the channel that Logic is attempting to record them from.

I don't use MIDI guitar these days and frankly since I got logic I'm mostly using a USB keyboard and audio. So for me it is pretty much automatic. The USB keyboard is set as the primary MIDI event generator and logic just picks it up.

I actually found that once I used logic for a while trying to go back to garageband was crazy hard. I mean trying to do things I did easily in logic was like trying for several minutes even to find the item in garageband. So my point is stick with it. Try things. Once you figure it out the next time will be that much easier.

Logic has so much depth, I don't even scratch the surface with my use.

Sep 18, 2011 9:26 PM in response to Brian Anderson3

I sympathize with you on Logic manuals. They are long on telling you what can be done, but sometimes a bit short on explaining exactly how to do it.

There are good training materials on Logic here http://www.groove3.com/str/ They aren't for "dummies" and neither is Logic.

The authors of these videos posts here http://www.logic-users-group.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56

and has been quite helpful there in my case.

Sep 21, 2011 8:09 AM in response to bayswater

Thanks Bayswater. Someone else sees my way...often in software...the simplest questions become so complicated because you don't know how to phrase the question according to the answer that may be provided

somewhere in the manuals...I've faced that problem in many other software applications. It's the great and extremely helpful people on DISCUSSION FORUMS that have gotten me through and saved me fortunes in countless manuals that they themselves aren't direct enough. Thanks to all for your help.

Sep 21, 2011 8:47 AM in response to Brian Anderson3

At some point you have read the manual cover to cover -- there is no way around it. As you say, Logic has its own way of doing things and the manual has its own organization and approach, and is really best as a reference for someone who already knows the basics. It takes me two cover to cover reads, one a couple of days after installation, and again after six weeks or so of using it.

Sep 21, 2011 9:53 AM in response to Brian Anderson3

I know you said you're using an guitar to midi convertor, I'm not really familiar with those. I know one cool way of converting audio to midi without the use of a convertor like that. I have Melodyne Editor. With it, you can load in a polyphonic file (guitar, keys, etc) and have Melodyne convert it to midi which can then be loaded into Logic. I haven't tried it yet because I've not had a reason to, but I think there's a video on their website about it. I know Melodyne's pretty expensive, but they have a 30 day free trial that's fully functional on their website if you want to give it a try. I have to admit, being able to dig into a polyphonic track and edit individual notes in a chord is pretty cool.

Sep 21, 2011 10:24 AM in response to gnogtr

i'm aware of Melodyne...way too expensive for my needs...i already have GUITAR PRO...not as elaborate and as a matter of fact records MIDI from my guitar TERRIBLY! GARAGEBAND and LOGIC are far more accurate. BTW can tablature be viewed when you are in SCORE view inGB or LOGIC? GUITAR PRO has that feature. my guitar is rigged thru a SONUUS G2M MIDI converter. Takes some getting used to as it is not very accurate and needs some careful playing technique. Thanks

Sep 21, 2011 11:14 AM in response to Brian Anderson3

I think Antares is coming out with something that's going to work along the lines of playing straight to midi...AT6 I think it's called? I'm assuming that you have to modify your guitar somehow. Here's kinda what's out now: http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?CategoryID=2

I think the reason you have to play very carefully with good technique is because that converter has to pick up on pitches because it's not going to know exactly which string is being plucked, bends, harmonics, etc. I got Melodyne at Guitar Center this past weekend for $250. They've got an instore September sell going on. It's still showing up at $299 on their website. If I ever try to do any midi conversions I'll use 'Dyne. I'd like to try to do a conversion of a lead part to midi and then use that to trigger a synth lead to see how well it works...I may try that in a bit. I had a client that I finished up with a few weeks back and they have one particular part I think would have sounded cooler on a synth...

about to throw in the towel! I'm admitting defeat...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.