Skip navigation

Tip : Enable Lion's Airdrop on unsupported Wifi cards / USB dongles

8489 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 22, 2011 8:15 AM by himig_natin RSS
Sjazbec Level 4 Level 4 (1,665 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Sep 17, 2011 3:43 AM

I just have to share this.

Lion includes a new technology called "AirDrop" which is Apple's name for adhoc wifi data exchange.

When two machines that both run Lion are visible to each other ( nearby , "ad hoc networked" ) , Users can launch Finder, go to "Airdrop" in the sidebar and will see each others Machine. You then can simply drag and drop all sort of documents onto the icon of the mac next yours without having to think about setting up a network or dig deeply into Networking details.

This new technology is not enabled for all wifi "Airport" cards and never for 3rd party devices ( usb dongles , pci cards etc that have OS X drivers available )

Now here is how to enable Airdrop on EVERY wifi device, regardless of vendor,make or type. The device needs only to work in Lion of course.

fire up the terminal.app and write :

defaults write com.apple.NetworkBrowser BrowseAllInterfaces 1

then hit enter ,

now restart the Finder to have the new sidebar item visible ( a animated radar screen ) with this command :

killall Finder && open /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app

Et voila !

• Barney-15E Level 7 Level 7 (33,535 points)

Keep in mind that this doesn't enable the feature on your Airport card. It just allows Airdrop to run over whatever other network connection your have. Who knows what havoc it might cause on a workplace LAN with lots of users doing the same. I would imagine there is a reason that was not enabled by default. I can't test that, so I couldn't tell for sure what it would do.

Airdrop was intended to use the ad hoc networking of wifi cards that could do simultaneous wifi and ad hoc networks. One computer connected to another for the transfer, not connected to every other computer on the network.  This tip enables AirDrop over the regular network connection, not the ad hoc networking of the Airport card.

• himig_natin Calculating status...

Thanks for the Tip, it's really works & I see the Air Drop now on my 2007 Macbook Pro.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.