Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Microsoft Word for Mac has disappeared.

I have a Mac OSX 10.6.8 Macbook Pro 15. I am using Microsoft Office 2011. All the programs are working except for Word. It has disappeared and when I went to click on a Word document they converted to a Text Edit file. Please advise.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 17, 2011 4:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2011 6:09 AM

Go to your applications folder and check if "Word" is in the Microsoft Office folder. If it is then your .doc files are associated with the application "Textedit". To rectify:

Go to one of your Word documents, right-click (or Ctrl-click) and choose "Get Info", and in the "Open With" popup choose "MS Word" and click the "Change All" button.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2011 6:09 AM in response to lynor

Go to your applications folder and check if "Word" is in the Microsoft Office folder. If it is then your .doc files are associated with the application "Textedit". To rectify:

Go to one of your Word documents, right-click (or Ctrl-click) and choose "Get Info", and in the "Open With" popup choose "MS Word" and click the "Change All" button.

Oct 3, 2011 7:06 PM in response to lynor

lynor wrote:

No, it is not in the Application folder. When I try to click the "W" on the dock, a question mark shows up over the "w". Should I try to reinstall the program from the disk?

The Dock icons are just a "alias" to there the original is. Drag the W icon off the Dock.

Somehow your original program disappeared, perhaps it wasn't paid for.

You can launch Disk Utility in your Applications/Utilities folder and click on your drive on the left and First Aid > Verify Disk and Repair Permisisons.

If "Verify Disk" (only) gives any warnings, you need to immediatly backup your user file folders (Music, Documents etc) onto a external drive and disconnect, your internal hard drive is going to fail soon.

The Repair Permissions warnings you can ignore.

After you have done both, then search for Word in your Applications folder, if you find it, just drag it's icon to the Dock.

If it's not there, then reinstall the program from the disk and then drag the icon to the Dock.

If you can't reinstall Word or Office, then simply use the free LibreOffice, it will work just the same.

Always maintain two sperate hardware backups of your personal data at all times.

Nov 20, 2012 7:50 PM in response to lynor

Strange, today my entire microsoft office has disappeared too. (office 2008(?) though), including the folder in the applications folder.

I think I might know why though. I have another computer on my home network that I may have (can't remember) set up using migration assistant from this computer. I'm guessing that means that it thinks there are two copies of the same license running on the network?

I do own a family license, so I'll just reinstall with one of the other serials.

It got me a bit confused for a bit though, and I do feel like this computer wasn't set up with migration assistant (but I remember wrong). I'm also not sure it would've just happened now, as my network has been like this for a while now..

Anyway, everything to do with microsoft office has vanished from this computer, and I used it (word and excel) only a couple of days ago

Jan 14, 2014 4:09 PM in response to lynor

Hi. There is any easy way to fix this.

Your doc is not lost it is just minimised and hidden and even though it is showing up in the doc you cannot access it but don't worry you can gain access again!

Go to the Word icon in the doc and right click, go to open recent and open ANY doc (doesnt matter).

In this open doc go to the 'Window' bar at the top and you should see your doc with listed at the bottom (along with the one you just opened).

Click on the doc you lost.

Then under 'Window' also, click zoom and it will pop up 🙂

My Microsoft Word for Mac has disappeared.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.