Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airport

Now my iPhone won't connect to the Airport Express, even though the network shows and it has a clear and strong signal. User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.5.7), 111 GB, 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SD RAM

Posted on Sep 17, 2011 9:15 AM

16 replies

Sep 17, 2011 10:17 AM in response to Todd M.

All you can do is delete the current wireless settings on the iPhone and then try to set up the connection again.

Settings >Wi-Fi > Select your network > Forget this Network

If that does not work, you'll need to take the iPhone in to let Apple have a look, or post over in the iPhone Support Area, since you have an iPhone issue, not an AirPort Express issue.

Sep 17, 2011 1:16 PM in response to Todd M.

Understand. The point I am making is that the AirPort Express is operating correctly if other devices can connect.

They can.

You likely have an iPhone problem...not an AirPort Express problem. If the AirPort Express is working correctly....what more can it do?

Whether or not the connection issue is related to not having a SIM card, that is yet to be determined. That is why I recommended that you post in the iPhone support area.

Oct 14, 2011 7:09 AM in response to Todd M.

I'm having this same problem. Two macbooks, both connect fine; two iPhones, which all of a sudden can't connect. The phones show they are connected to wireless with a strong signal, and the airport extreme shows that it is working fine, but both iPhones can't actually get the internet. Which makes me think it's something to do with the airport signal, that's uniquely affecting the phones and not the computers. I've tried manually setting the 2.4ghz signally to to different radio channels, but that didn't help. I've checked firmware updates, powered the aiport, iPhones and the DSL modem on and off, reset network settings on the iPhones. The iPhones work on other wireless networks just fine.

I've been looking for solutions online and have found lamentations about calling Apple about this problemm - hours of resetting everything and reconfiguring from scratch, resetting iPhones to factory settings, all to no avail. So I hate to go down that road. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Oct 14, 2011 8:47 PM in response to jmbright

Hi. See, you describe the exact situation that I have. Good luck on a response. I'm being ignored here and have given up.

Like you, it works with other wireless networks just fine. I can't see any other settings on the Airport that I can change to make this iphone connect to it. My neighbor just offered me the password to his network and it connected fine. But he will be moving in a few months. I guess I will worry about that when it's time to.

Oct 16, 2011 8:55 AM in response to jmbright

I see the issue here. My Network to my Airport does not register the correct IP Address and Router information under "DHCP" settings. When I went into the network that my neighbor gave me access to it had HTTP Proxy turned off (at the bottom), yet all the settings come in when the network is chosen and password provided.

On my network with the Airport, I clicked into it and none of those settings were filled in. HTTP Proxy was set to Auto. When I turned it off, now the settings show up but they don't match the same format that my neighbor's network shows. (He is literally on the other side of the wall from me.)

My neighbor IP address/Router settings are 192.xxx.x etc., with a Subnet Mask of 255.xxx.xxx.x

My network IP address/Router settings are 10.x.x with Subnet Mask of 255.xxx.xxx.x

Oct 16, 2011 9:40 AM in response to Todd M.

Here is what I found to resolve the problem, somewhat along the line of inquiry you're pursuing but slightly different.

The Airport Extreme had a DNS server specificied that was apparently bad. As I understand it, the DNS server is like a lookup server that allows the device to translate URLs into numeric IP addresses, right? So if the DNS is bad, the device literally doesn't know where to go on the internet to find "www.whatever.com."

On my Mac computers, I had manually entered some DNS servers in the network settings as recommended by my ISP (Earthlink). So when the computers connected to the internet, they presumably could use the DNS in the computer's network settings to navigate the internet. The other devices (two iPhones and a Kindle) were trying to navigate the internet using the apparently faulty DNS specified in the Airport settings. Thus, they were connected fine to the wireless, but couldn't connect to any actual web URLs.

I'm not sure how that DNS got loaded into my airport, or why it happened all of a sudden, but when I cleared that out of the Airport settings, all devices began working fine again. The Airport DNS field now shows the router IP address as the DNS.

So that solved it for me.

airport

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.