Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture CRASHES with Lion

Hi guys,

From the upgrade of LION, I have HARD PROBLEMS with Aperture. I cannot open or import new photos because the system CRASHES!

What can I do?? I am a photographer .. I need aperture. I tried to reinstall the software and I have repaired all the permission, but

nothing!! APERTURE doesn't work.

Please help me!

Moira

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.7.1), Aperture crashes my iMac

Posted on Sep 17, 2011 9:23 AM

4 replies

Sep 20, 2011 2:36 AM in response to moiraproject

I don't want to upgrade my RAM now .... I think is not the solution for that problem.

Anyway, for the moment, I solved in this way:

- I rebuilt the original library,

- I deleted the others

- I have re-imported everything!

Now it seems going better! Slowly ... but fine!

No sys crashes Yesterday ..

I think it's the best solution for the moment!

Have a great day

Sep 20, 2011 10:34 AM in response to moiraproject

moiraproject wrote:

I don't want to upgrade my RAM now .... I think is not the solution for that problem.

You can easily evaluate whether or not you have adequate RAM by looking at the Page Outs number under System Memory on the Activity Monitor app before starting a work session; recheck after working and if the page outs increased significantly during operation your workflow is RAM-starved. Ignore the other info in Activity Monitor.

If page outs increase significantly during operation you can add RAM or simply try to run Aperture by itself. On my C2D MBP with its max of 3 GB RAM I always did a restart prior to a heavy Aperture session to clear any memory leaks and make sure no other apps were open. Browsers in particular will often suck RAM Aperture would otherwise be using.

The problem with running a RAM-deficientworkflow like I did is that along with slower operation, page outs can reduce overall stability - - and instability always seems to present at the worst times, like in the midst of processing a time-critical project. It does help a lot to keep a really really clean workflow like you are doing.

If your test of page outs does show that you are paging to disk (I am almost certain that you are) the speed of your drives and connectivity becomes even more important than normal. Drives slow as they fill so keep drives underfilled. No more than ~70% full is a good maximum guideline, but less full is faster. Use Firewire rather than USB for external drives when possible.

OS 10.7 does seem to utilize more RAM than OS 10.6 does, and that makes sense because over time evolving OSs and apps take advantage of evolving hardware.

HTH

-Allen Wicks

Aperture CRASHES with Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.