Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2004 ibook HD replaced, still not functioning

Hello. I have a late 2004 (I believe) ibook G4 - 1064MHZ, 256MB RAM, 30GB HD. Sometime in 2006/2007 the ibook stopped working, it was a slow death which I associated with the hard drive. When the ibook was on and I attempted to move files around the ibook would turn off, as far as I can remember. Furthermore, after that, the ibook stopped booting alltogether. When I would press the power button, I'd hear the Macintosh chime then I would hear some very raunchy sounds, like metal on metal, somewhat like clicking- which I assumed to be the read/write heads in the HD stuck.

I finally summoned the courage to open the ibook and replace the dreadful harddrive. Although painful to the fingertips, I managed my way through tight screws and small peices and successfully installed a replacement 30GB Fujitsu Harddrive. Upon reassembling the ibook, however, it still doesn't work. When I touch the power button, I hear the Macintosh chime, what sounds like the combo drive initializing, and I hear the hard drive spin as well. After a few seconds the screen will slightly/quickly flash blue three times, not a complete blue screen but a slight flash, so fast that it appears that only the middle of the screen is blue. After that there is nothing else. I set my ear close to the ibook to see if it is still on or not but I can't hear anything. When I press the power button the same exact results ensue; sounds from the cd and hd and the Mac chime followed by slight flickering of blue on the screen, so I assume it powers down directly after I turn it on.

Despite the fact that the ibook doesn't seem to stay on for very long, I attempted to put the system restore disc 1 that came with the ibook into its slot, but apparently I've made a mistake reassembling it because there is something blocking the disc from going in. Im sure its not another disc, because when I try to insert the disc I run into resistance in the front most corner of the drive, so I think a metal/plastic clip or something is blocking the way. This I will address after I have more information to go with as far as getting the ibook to work.

It's apparent to me that the hard drive was bad. After replacing the hard drive I no longer get the nasty metal grinding sound that occured every time I tried to turn the 'book on in the past. Now something else is preventing its function. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it. I'm thoroughly determined to get this ibook working again.

Edit: to save some time for anyone who may reply, I have tried holding down shift after the chime for safe mode. Doesn't work for me, as the laptop is off again before it can do anything.

iBook, 1064MHZ, 256MB, 30 GB, OSX10

Posted on Sep 17, 2011 10:28 AM

7 replies

Sep 17, 2011 12:18 PM in response to blac-kkat

Hi, and welcome to Apple Support Communities.

Do you have access to another Mac with a FireWire port? If so, you may be able to install the OS via FireWire Target Disk Mode, with the iBook as the Target Disk.

In order to format a new hard drive:

Start up from the Install disc by holding down the c key as the startup chime is ending. With the bad optical drive, this will have to be using FireWire Target Disk Mode with the disc in the optical drive of the Host computer. Hold down the c key until you see the progress indicator (which looks like a spinning gear).

In Tiger, select the language and continue. (In Panther, click continue, but do not go further.)

In Tiger, go to the Utilities menu (in Panther, the Installer menu) and open Disk Utility.

Select the iBook's hard drive icon in the left side panel.

Choose the "Partition" tab in order to format the drive to a single partition.

Click the Options button.

For PowerPC Macs (such as the iBook), choose "Apple Partition Map."

Click OK.

Choose to format as one partition.

Name the hard drive by typing the name in the "Name" field.

Choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as the Volume Format.

Click on the "Partition" button.

Choose Erase tab.

Select the named volume of the iBook's new hard drive in the left-side panel. (The hard drive icon which appears under the top hard drive icon.)

Click "Erase."

The hard drive is now ready for the installation of the OS. Proceed with the installation from the other Mac, using the Restore disc(s) after having installed the OS (in most cases).

An Apple Knowledge Base article which may help:

How to restore your Apple software

Good luck!

Sep 17, 2011 1:04 PM in response to blac-kkat

Thanks for your suggestion. I'm unable to proceed with it at the moment, as I have no other Macintosh computer, and my optical drive has yet to accept any disc. I'm in the process of checking what is blocking it right now. After removing the bottom shell and metallic shield from the ibook, I noticed a connection covered by tape that was dislodged from the logic board, and I have reattached and taped it down. No change, however.

I will update this discussion as soon as my optical drive issue is fixed. From the bottom of the case with case shell and metallic shield removed, it APPEARS to have a disc inside it, but I may be mistaken! What appears to be a disc is quite far away from the opening of the disc drive, so this leads me to believe that this is not what is blocking the entrance of the optical drive. I have repeated my attempt at inserting the original OS disc1, and the 'drive' or whatever is blocking it, has scratched part of gray/white colors on the disc's upper label, just in the corner of the front-most side of the optical drive's opening.

Upon a test boot I tried CMD+OPTION+F+O and typed 'eject cd' with the aid of a bright flashlight, and the next line reads: eject cd ok. Nothing ejects, does this line tell me there is no cd inside?

I fear I have a burned out backlight and perhaps a faulty optical drive.

Sep 17, 2011 1:32 PM in response to blac-kkat

I have also tried holding down the left trackpad button and nothing ejects. Since I don't have another macintosh to use the firewire method, and my optical drive is of no use, I am looking into the possibility of making a bootable USB disk containing Mac OSX, but I'm usure of whether I can do this using the Hackintosh x86 OS or not.

Sep 17, 2011 2:56 PM in response to blac-kkat

Excellent news. After disassembling the ibook once again I found out that I had an incorrect screw below the keyboard, blocking access to the optical drive. After correcting this and testing the optical slot with a failed-to-burn junk cd-rw, I have successfully inserted the system disc, and, as the installer opens, I find that my backlight is not faulty! I have a little spot on the screen that wasn't there before... looks like damage from a magnet, but voila, the OS is installing as I type. Thanks so much for the ideas Ronda.

Late 2004 ibook HD replaced, still not functioning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.