Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I take me out of my Laptop. I want to give my laptop PowerBook G4 to my Grand daughter.

How do I take me out of my Laptop. I want to give my laptop PowerBook G4 to my Grand daughter. I would like to keep the software on it, but remove the cloud and let her get her own cloud. My system cannot be upgrade anymore and she needs a laptop. I am at Mac OSX (10.5.8)

Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Sep 17, 2011 11:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2011 3:13 PM

At the simplest level you can just create a new account through System Preferences, being sure to give it Admin status, then delete your own account having logged in as the new user. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "the cloud" - I presume you mean a Mobile Me account as Apple's iCloud isn't available to mere mortals yet and you'd need Lion to use it anyway....

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2011 3:13 PM in response to alr1

At the simplest level you can just create a new account through System Preferences, being sure to give it Admin status, then delete your own account having logged in as the new user. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "the cloud" - I presume you mean a Mobile Me account as Apple's iCloud isn't available to mere mortals yet and you'd need Lion to use it anyway....

Sep 17, 2011 5:00 PM in response to Braby

I have an account on icloud for the last three years. It updates my music and also address book from my main computer. I know they are changing some of the things on it, but right now I do have the cloud on all of my machines.

Thanks for the help. I just need to get me off so that she can use the bento and other things on the computer.

Sep 19, 2011 5:51 AM in response to alr1

I have the Cloud and love it. Will have to look at icloud, but I think it does the same thing. Love it.

Now back to the original question. Once I take me out of admin, will she be able to use all the software that I have on the computer, or will we have to download all of it again.

I really appreciate your help on this. I do not want to pay to have someone do this if I can do it myself.

Thanks.

Sep 19, 2011 7:35 AM in response to alr1

Yes after creating a new user account the first time the account is opened you will get a "bare bones" desktop and dock. All the Applications you have ever loaded will be in the Applications folder on the hard drive. When most of them are opened for the first time it will be like starting all over again - the user will have to click on the "agree" button and select preferences and so on just like you did the first time you used them. Obviously things like e-mail accounts will need to be set up for the new user. Have a play before you do it for real, you can then either set up the new account for your grandaughter or leave her to do it herself. You can create and delete accounts at will though when you are finally ready to delete yourself from the list you will need to decide whether or not to also delete your home folder after which there will be no going back if you change your mind - you would need to start again!

How do I take me out of my Laptop. I want to give my laptop PowerBook G4 to my Grand daughter.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.