Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How free does your MacBook have to be to not make the loud fan noise?

23.4 GB is left in my internal hard drive. And I'm running Chrome (17 tabs), Finder, Adobe Reader (6 files), and System Preferences.

Right now the fan is turning loud on and off in few minutes intervals. Maybe one 2 minute intervals. I would like to run Skype and Safari and Parallels and iTunes and Evernote in addition to this while not get the annoying fan sound nor lagging. How much should I empty my drive for this to be possible?

I'm using a MacBookn 10.5.8 on the White MacBook... if I want to upgrade to Lion is this possbile (and would it help with the fan noise and lagging)

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 17, 2011 11:05 AM

5 replies

Sep 17, 2011 11:15 AM in response to shroudlupe

Sounds like your problem is too little RAM for all the applications you are running concurrently. How much RAM do you have installed? Which specific MB model do you have? Open System Profiler/Information and look for the Machine ID.

Upgrading to Lion won't fix the problem. You need at least 2 GBs of RAM for Lion. For all you want to do you would need more RAM than that. Running Windows in Parallels will use nearly half the RAM you have installed up to nearly 2 GBs.

About OS X Memory Management and Usage

Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

Memory Management in Mac OS X

Performance Guidelines- Memory Management in Mac OS X

A detailed look at memory usage in OS X

Understanding top output in the Terminal

The amount of available RAM for applications is the sum of Free RAM and Inactive RAM. This will change as applications are opened and closed or change from active to inactive status. The Swap figure represents an estimate of the total amount of swap space required for VM if used, but does not necessarily indicate the actual size of the existing swap file. If you are really in need of more RAM that would be indicated by how frequently the system uses VM. If you open the Terminal and run the top command at the prompt you will find information reported on Pageins () and Pageouts (). Pageouts () is the important figure. If the value in the parentheses is 0 (zero) then OS X is not making instantaneous use of VM which means you have adequate physical RAM for the system with the applications you have loaded. If the figure in parentheses is running positive and your hard drive is constantly being used (thrashing) then you need more physical RAM.

Adding RAM only makes it possible to run more programs concurrently. It doesn't speed up the computer nor make games run faster. What it can do is prevent the system from having to use disk-based VM when it runs out of RAM because you are trying to run too many applications concurrently or using applications that are extremely RAM dependent. It will improve the performance of applications that run mostly in RAM or when loading programs.

Sep 17, 2011 12:14 PM in response to shroudlupe

Yes, that is your RAM. System Profiler/Information is located in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder.

If you provide the Machine ID then I can look to see what the maximum RAM is that you can install in the model you have.

Only one thing truly speeds up the computer - a faster processor. The only way to get that is to buy a newer computer model.

Sep 17, 2011 12:19 PM in response to Kappy

Model Name: MacBook

Model Identifier: MacBook4,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MB41.00C1.B00

SMC Version (system): 1.31f1

Serial Number (system): W88336KF0P1

Hardware UUID: BAC91263-17BF-587A-A417-064DC91776CF

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

What is the model number in all this?

Sep 17, 2011 1:00 PM in response to shroudlupe

Model Identifier: MacBook4,1 is the model.

Maximum RAM6.0 GB (Actual) 4.0 GB (Apple)
Type of RAM Slots2 - 200-pin PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 SO-DIMM

The above indicates you could install up to 6 GBs of RAM. Given what you plan to use I would suggest installing the maximum allowable RAM.

Now, to the issue of fans. The fan runs continuously, but if the computer starts to get hot then the fan speed increases. This may be normal or abnormally caused by processes that have gone astray and are using too much CPU time. To determine if that's the case:

Open Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder. Select All Processes from the Processes dropdown menu. Click twice on the CPU% column header to display in descending order. If you find a process using a large amount of CPU time, then select the process and click on the Quit icon in the toolbar. Click on the Force Quit button to kill the process. See if that helps. Be sure to note the name of the runaway process so you can track down the cause of the problem.

If you have too many concurrent applications running then you run out of memory. When that happens the OS memory manager starts using free disk space to provide the "memory" that is needed. By using the disk instead of physical RAM, the drive is being over-used causing everything to slow down and even grind to a halt. To avoid that you have to have fewer applications running so you don't use up your available memory.

How free does your MacBook have to be to not make the loud fan noise?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.