Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Group mail without wiki?

In SLS I had more mail ability for groups that I do in Lion.

I am now trying to find out how to do the following without much luck.

1. Create a group mail alias (ie: mailing list)

- In the past, I just created a group account, and I could mail group@domain.com without problem

- Note: I do not want -wiki on the mailing list and I don't want the wiki at all actually.

2. Mail account redirects

- In the past, when a person left, I would redirect their mail in WGM in the mail tab. Simply select "Forward" and set the user it was to forward to. This tab is no longer in WGM.

Can anyone point me to the right place? I have been searching the docs, but no luck so far.

Thanks!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Sep 17, 2011 11:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2011 11:25 PM

For #1:

Mailman is probably the easiest way to get a mail list (group mail) setup without using a wiki to do so. It's in Server Admin --> Mail --> Settings --> Mailing Lists. You can open up the users and groups list and just drag people into the list. It'll setup a "Mailman" box first, which needs to be there, and then you can setup whatever mailing lists you need. Emails to these addresses are formatted as <list_name>@your_server_domain.com. It's actually more of a full-fledged subscribe/unsubscribe type list, but it'll do the job.

For #2:

Kind of the long way around, but you could log into their webmail account and setup the rule there.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2011 11:25 PM in response to jonathanfrom佐倉市

For #1:

Mailman is probably the easiest way to get a mail list (group mail) setup without using a wiki to do so. It's in Server Admin --> Mail --> Settings --> Mailing Lists. You can open up the users and groups list and just drag people into the list. It'll setup a "Mailman" box first, which needs to be there, and then you can setup whatever mailing lists you need. Emails to these addresses are formatted as <list_name>@your_server_domain.com. It's actually more of a full-fledged subscribe/unsubscribe type list, but it'll do the job.

For #2:

Kind of the long way around, but you could log into their webmail account and setup the rule there.

Sep 17, 2011 11:31 PM in response to jonathanfrom佐倉市

I found the solution by looking at very old server configs and how I used to do it back in 10.1/10.2 days.

user > su -

su > vi /etc/postfix/aliases

# Put your local aliases here.

groupname: user1, user2

su > postalias /etc/aliases

su > postfix reload

An that is it.

I do have a corresponding WGM entry for groupname for local access controls, but if you just need a mail group alias, this will work by itself.

This will also work for my 2nd question above about redirecting mail from user to another (assuming account is deleted in WGM and not just disabled).

This process is less than ideal though and a huge step backwards in functionality and administration of mail 😟

If anyone has a WGM or Server Admin solution, I would love to hear it 🙂

Sep 17, 2011 11:48 PM in response to LogMeCode3

if the account is deleted from WGM, it should be fully removed from dovecot as well. ie: a mail to deleteduser@domain.com would get a rejection reciept.

To redirect mail for the deleted user, you can do the following follow the above steps with the following info

#Put your local aliases here.

deleted_user_alias: redirect_alias1, redirect_alias2, email@domain.com

So you can redirect to 1 person or multiple or even external domains. just ensure all aliases and addresses are seperated via a comma.

Note: This will only work if the alias has been completed deleted (and the user no longer exists is dovecot!)

Group mail without wiki?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.