1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next 245 Replies Latest reply: Jul 21, 2013 10:17 PM by G5Lover Go to original post Branched to a new discussion.
  • 60. Re: Working on the G5 quad liquid cooling system
    Chris323i Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Hopefully I'm able to devise a way to power the pumps up with a power supply so that I am able to bleed the system once I can drain it.

     

     

    /___sbsstatic___/migration-images/174/17410073-1.jpg

     

    /___sbsstatic___/migration-images/174/17410073-2.jpg

     

    /___sbsstatic___/migration-images/174/17410073-3.jpg

     

    /___sbsstatic___/migration-images/174/17410073-4.jpg

  • 61. Re: Working on the G5 quad liquid cooling system
    Heikki Lindholm Level 1 Level 1 (135 points)

    Thanks for the photo. First thing to do is to protect pins 3 & 4 with something from accidents. PSU voltage should never be applied to them, otherwise the pumps will suffer damage. +12V to pins 1, 5 and GND to 7 should run pump 1 and +12V to pins 2, 6 and GND to 8 should run pump 2. Together they might pull more than one ATX molex can supply, so I'd recommend using a separate power rail for each pump. If yours are DDC-2 pumps, they require a fair amount of startup current.

  • 62. Re: Working on the G5 quad liquid cooling system
    Ramón G Castañeda Level 4 Level 4 (1,445 points)

    Heikki Lindholm wrote:

     

    Just to make sure the confusion doesn't arise again: these pictures are from a "version 2" of the Quad G5 LCS (mine was "version 1", which in turn is a 2nd generation Delphi unit).

     

    Now I'm a bit confused again. 

     

    My particular G5 Quad was made late in June of 2006, shortly before the Quad was discontinued the first week of August of that year.  Since it was manufactured during the last five or six weeks of its production, I would think it's safe to assume it has the last version of the LCS, presumably what you're referring to as "version 2".

     

    Hardware monitor is reporting only one pump, not two.

     

    So, is the "version 2" LCS the one with one or two pumps?

     

    Frankly, this may be only an academic question, since the problematic pumps, whatever they are called, do not seem to have ever been used in any G5 Quad models, only in some of the G5 Dual Core models.

     

    http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/faq/powermac-g5-liquid-cooling -info-leaks-issues.html

     

    Which Power Mac G5 models use liquid cooling? Which Power Mac G5 models have been reported to have problems with the liquid cooling system?

    Users with any liquid cooled systems -- but particularly users with Power Macintosh G5/2.5 DP (PCI-X) (June 2004) and Power Macintosh G5/2.7 DP (PCI-X) (Early 2005) systems -- in active service would be wise to carefully watch for internal and external leaks and if a leak or  temperature anomaly is discovered immediately shut it off and notify Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Center.

  • 63. Re: Working on the G5 quad liquid cooling system
    Heikki Lindholm Level 1 Level 1 (135 points)

    Oh my... Yours is a version 1, with one pump. The "version 1" and "version 2" naming comes from Apple's service manuals. I think it could as well be "version X" and "version Y", or be the names of the manufacturers, meaning that you shouldn't consider "version 2" to be something improved or later than "version 1", just different.

     

    I haven't seen reports on the Quad LCS actually leaking, either version. However, they do suffer from coolant clogging (corrosion inhibition package going out, dyes breaking down) and evaporation, and, sans the factory refurbished units, they are starting to be at the end of their designed lifetime. Another potential problem is the Laing DDC-2 pumps in some of the Quads (my version 1 LCS had one) which are, according to the PC water cooling people, fairly unreliable.

     

    It was not the pumps that were troublesome with the Dual CPU units but more likely the corrosion inhibitor not working as well as expected and strong galvanic corrosion caused by aluminium and copper in the units. It looked like corrosion products clogged the copper fins in the heatsink which caused pressure leading to leakage through the O-rings. Some units also leaked through the pump's volume compensator, which I hear was a fault in some batch of the DDC-1VC pumps.

  • 64. Re: Working on the G5 quad liquid cooling system
    BDAqua Level 10 Level 10 (116,475 points)

    What a great asset to have you here Heikki !

  • 65. Re: Working on the G5 quad liquid cooling system
    Ramón G Castañeda Level 4 Level 4 (1,445 points)

    Thanks, Heikki.

     

    From what I can distill from your elaboration, there's no point in my worrying about the LCS in my Quad until something happens, which is about par for the course for most five-and-a-half-year-old machines.

     

    On a related subject, an independent technician who worked on my G5 Quad to replace its damaged case and who represented himself to be both Apple Certified and a former Apple employee who actually worked in Apple manufacturing at the very same factory in Elk Grove (Sacramento), California, where my computer was made, claimed that Apple had gone to the Panasonics pump on the G5 Dual (not Quads) after early leaks were reported but  eventually abandoned Panasonics and went back to Delphi because "the Panasonics pumps did not perform as they had hoped".

  • 66. Re: Working on the G5 quad liquid cooling system
    BMaverick Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

    Heikki has some good sources.

  • 67. Re: Working on the G5 quad liquid cooling system
    Ramón G Castañeda Level 4 Level 4 (1,445 points)

    Heikki Lindholm wrote:

     

    …I haven't seen reports on the Quad LCS actually leaking, either version. However, they do suffer from coolant clogging (corrosion inhibition package going out, dyes breaking down) and evaporation, and, sans the factory refurbished units,… [emphasis added]

     

    Would said "factory refurbished units" have been produced.assembled/sold after the production of the G5 was discontinued?  Or is there any room for hoping that the technology involved in those would have been incorporated into the manufacture of my G5 Quad that was made towards the end of the G5 Quad production run?

     

    A different but very important question, if my G5 Quad LCS actually fails, is there a source for a refurbished unit?  Price would be irrelevant, as I need both the PPC architecture in OS X* and Classic, so I'd be willing to pay more than a new Mac Pro would cost.

     

    * The PPC architecture is needed in OS X to run things like Grain Surgery 2, the unparallelled, unequaled set of film grain filters ever developed to this day on any platform and which Adobe bought from Visual Infinity only to kill it right away, without providing anything remotely resembling a decent alternative.  http://www.plugsandpixels.com/grainsurgery.html

  • 68. Re: Working on the G5 quad liquid cooling system
    Heikki Lindholm Level 1 Level 1 (135 points)

    Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

     

    Heikki Lindholm wrote:

     

    …I haven't seen reports on the Quad LCS actually leaking, either version. However, they do suffer from coolant clogging (corrosion inhibition package going out, dyes breaking down) and evaporation, and, sans the factory refurbished units,… [emphasis added]

     

    Would said "factory refurbished units" have been produced.assembled/sold after the production of the G5 was discontinued?  Or is there any room for hoping that the technology involved in those would have been incorporated into the manufacture of my G5 Quad that was made towards the end of the G5 Quad production run?

     

     

    This is just an assumption on my part, but I assume that units that had the "Processor" (meaning CPU cards + LCS) replaced due to either the CPUs or the LCS breaking down, got an LCS in pristine condition and thus ready to last the same amount of years as the original, except from the date  of repair. So if a machine got such a repair done, say in 2010, it would last quite some years longer than machines in original condition. I also assume factory refurbished LCS Macs have had their LCS checked/flushed&refilled.

     

    A local service tech here told that there are still parts available for the latest/last generation of G5 Power Macs. I haven't tested that claim, yet.

     

    I was (un)lucky enough to stumble on pretty much every stone while overhauling my machine, so I had to find out various bits of information, and yes I had some truly gold sources. I'm also motivated to keep the thing going as long as the electronics don't fail. I have an early core2 macbook in addition to the ppc macs, but it, in practical user experience, actually delivers LESS than my old powerbook 667MHz DVI! And that's with 2.5 times the RAM of the powerbook. I think it can mostly be blamed on the intel GPU - theoretical "geekbench" scores and such don't always mean a squat.

     

    And Ramón, I think preventive maintenance would have been the key here, say flush and refill the LCS every 3 years, but since no Apple service tech I know of implements such a service, you're pretty much stuck waiting for the thing to start showing signs of failure, or take matters in your own hands, which carries the obvious risks of DIY.

  • 69. Re: Working on the G5 quad liquid cooling system
    Ramón G Castañeda Level 4 Level 4 (1,445 points)

    Thank you for your further elaboration, Heikki.  Now your previous posts are crystal clear.

     

    Coincidentally, I have recently inherited a 2-GHz 13" "mb_late_06" MacBook2,1 made in May of 2007 and discarded by my wife after the idiots at the local genius bar told her it was damaged beyond repair, when in reality all it took was replacing the badly swollen battery that was pushing against the track pad with a $30 generic battery from Amazon.

     

    So much for relying on Apple for repairs of legacy machines. 

  • 70. Re: Working on the G5 quad liquid cooling system
    BDAqua Level 10 Level 10 (116,475 points)

    Now all you have to os wait for is the infanous HDD, Graphic card, & Logic board failures!

  • 71. Re: Working on the G5 quad liquid cooling system
    Ramón G Castañeda Level 4 Level 4 (1,445 points)

    BDAqua wrote:

     

    Now all you have to os wait for is the infanous HDD, Graphic card, & Logic board failures!

     

    On the MacBook?    Really?

  • 72. Re: Working on the G5 quad liquid cooling system
    BDAqua Level 10 Level 10 (116,475 points)

    MacBooh,,, YES, sorry.

  • 73. Re: Working on the G5 quad liquid cooling system
    Ramón G Castañeda Level 4 Level 4 (1,445 points)

    Oh, well…  at least I've only invested $30 on the machine.

  • 74. Re: Working on the G5 quad liquid cooling system
    Chris323i Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Funny you say that. Apple had to replace the logic board on my 2.2Ghz C2D MBP. Fortunately they did so 3 years after my purchase at no cost. Apparently I had Applecare. Maybe I just forgot but boy was I happy to not pay a cent at that time.

1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next