Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Keeps Saying: Sharing requires more memory to be available, Quit iMovie and relaunch it. I Just Bought My Mac And It Has Tremendous Amount Of Space Already, PLEASE PLEASE HELP

I Have So much extra space on my new macbook pro, Ive had i for about 4 months and Have taken very good care of it. I use imovie somewhat offten, but don't have all that many events or anything even, but imovie keeps displaying the message: iMovie Keeps Saying: Sharing requires more memory to be available, Quit iMovie and relaunch it. I have even deleted other videos and Have tried many other things, including resarting, re-opening (Rebouting) and Still get the same message. Plus iMovie is barley working since the message has begun to display. It keeps freezing and shutimg down on its own. I HAVE A VERY IMPORTANT PROJECT THAT I JUST FINISHED EDITING SO I CANT LOOSE THAT, SO I CAN'T DELEE IMOVIE THEN RE-INSTALL. Please somewhat help fast, cause the video project is due next week.

Thank You All Very Much!!

Zave

iMovie '11, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Sep 18, 2011 3:06 AM

16 replies

Sep 22, 2011 1:59 AM in response to Zave18

How long is the movie?

Surely You know if it's a few minutes or a several hour epic ?

How much RAM in your Mac?

On Your Screen - Top left hand corner - there is an Apple symbol - unfolding the menu under this and selecting first item - About this Computer. You now got a window and can read Memory - XX GB DDR RAM

How much free disk space?

On Desktop - click on the icon top right hand corner - most often named Macintosh HD. Read at the bottom frame - a line says NN objects, XX,YY GB availably (or free space)

What kind of camera?

Where did You get material to Your Movie - eg SONY TRV-900E or downloaded from Internet as .wmv or What is it You've used to build Your project

What is the codec of the video clips?

• If you don't know, open one of the video clips in QuickTime Player and

• click Command-I to open the inspector.

• Tell us what you see there under Format:

I can not re-phrase this better than done.

Yours Bengt W

Sep 22, 2011 2:38 AM in response to Bengt Wärleby

The movie is 6:05 in time, with about 3 mins worth of music along with the video, and some text.

I downloaded mp4 videos from the internet, my mac says 4GB (1333 MHz DDR3) availible when I open finder it displays that at the bottom, the format of one of the clips, quick time displayed this in the inspector...

Apple Intermediate Codec 640X480, Millions and when i opened finder the bottom displayed 160.48 GB available. Thats the information that I could recieve. Thanks for helping. Do u know what all this means??

Sep 22, 2011 3:18 AM in response to Zave18

The movie is 6:05 in time, with about 3 mins worth of music along with the video, and some text.

That's not much to make any problem.

I downloaded mp4 videos from the Internet, the format of one of the clips, quick time displayed this in the inspector...

Apple Intermediate Codec 640X480, Millions

.mp4 is a container not to be mistaken for .mpeg4 which is a codec - and it’s most often could contain a H.264 encoded material (PS3 and AppleTV)

BUT

.aic = Apple Intermediate Codec 640X480, Millions - is a tru Codec that should work OK with iMovie

my mac says 4GB (1333 MHz DDR3) available when I open finder it displays that at the bottom,

Will be more than enough

and when i opened finder the bottom displayed 160.48 GB available.

That's much more than I set as a Minimum for SD-video - but for HD and movies up to 2 hours that would work OK. Remember that DVD - can only be SD-Video - it's a standard, and has nothing to with the tools used as iDVD, DVD-Studio Pro or Roxio Toast™

Apple Intermediate Codec 640X480

That is SD-Video

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Then I can not see any problem here - and when problems are hard to figure out there are a number of actions that usually takes care of some of them

• Trashing iMovie pref file - OR RATHER Start a new User-account and log into this and re-try to see if problem persists. (This creates a new set of error free preference files and indicates if problem is here or not)

• Repair Permissions - Run "Disk Util tool" and see if this helps

• Repair Hard disk - Same tool used BUT You need to start Your Mac from DVD or external hard disk - Can't do brain surgery on one self.

More Questions

• Audio used - what file format ? .mp3, .wma etc - I only use either .aiff 16-bit 48kHz (from miniDV tape Camera) or .aiff 44.1kHz from Audio-CD

Audio from iTunes I collect in a new PlayList - then burn it out as an Audio-CD .aiff (Not .mp3) and then I use the files on this CD in my movie projects - Works Always !

• Share to ? Where ? DVD or YouTube or MobileMe or ? ? ? - I only use Share to Media Browser and as Large - but that's because I go for DVDs and this gives best result to me.

Yours Bengt W

iMovie Keeps Saying: Sharing requires more memory to be available, Quit iMovie and relaunch it. I Just Bought My Mac And It Has Tremendous Amount Of Space Already, PLEASE PLEASE HELP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.