Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant Hanging

I just bought a brand new Mac Mini (is therefore running latest Lion, I assume) and I am trying to migrate data. docs and apps from a 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook (2007) also running latest Lion.

Running Migration Assistant and it consistently freezes on specific "time remaining" for hours. First of all I am not sure how long I should let this go on.

Second, I have tried to not migrate apps as noted on another thread and it still hangs. Is there any hope of using Migration Assistant or should I just bag it all and do it manually?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Sep 18, 2011 7:56 AM

4 replies

Sep 18, 2011 12:41 PM in response to robzt

I'll try this, though I am not sure I have enough cables.

I should have mentioned that I do have a Fire Wire cable to connect the two computers, but Migration Assistant doesn't seem to give me the option of using that instead of going through the network. Is there anyway to force it to use this direct connection rather than through the network?

Jul 31, 2012 12:38 PM in response to Mattadolphus

I have used Migration Assistant two or three times. Each time I was very frustrated at first. I have found the default in Migration Assistant to go to wireless transfer can cause problem. Last time I did this, Migration Assistant said it would take 35 hours! Once started, you are then stuck and have to do a hard stop (which I did while on the phone with Apple Support).

I have also tried trasnfer by ethernet - but that does not work well either. It tends to freeze midway through.

My most successful results were to connect an external hard drive and then do a Time Machine back up from the machine I want to transfer from. I then go to the machine I want to transfer to. I now turn off my Airport wireless on the machine that I want to receive the migration so it cannot start transferring that way. I then connect the receiving machine to the external hard drive with the back up from the other machine. When I open the Migration Assistant utility on the receiving machine, I elect to migrate "from a back up". The utlity then trasnfers all the info I selected to the receiving machine. I transfer everything, including applications and have no troubles when I do it this way. I have found this to be the fastest and most successful approach.

Migration Assistant Hanging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.