Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Convert" 1st gen iPhone to "iPod Touch"?

I divorced my iPhone 3GS from AT&T some time ago and use it as a Wi-Fi only device. I've decided to sell it (iPad in my future) so I wiped and restored it to factory settings and pulled the SIM card. After restoration, it works as it always has, just minus my apps.

I would now like to do the same thing with my Classic/1st gen iPhone but after resetting/wiping it, it simply wants to activate the phone in iTunes before doing anything else. How can I get past the AT&T activation procedure and simply get the Classic iPhone to behave like an iPod Touch? I've tried with the SIM card both installed and removed and nothing seems to help....keeps wanting me to activate the phone wich I obviously do want to do.

Regards,

Terry

Posted on Sep 18, 2011 8:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2011 9:04 AM

With the original iPhone, I don't know of any way to get past that activation screen other than first activating the phone. You can immediately cancel service, but AFAIK, there is no other way.

5 replies

"Convert" 1st gen iPhone to "iPod Touch"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.