Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I reinstall Windows 7 on Boot Camp with the same product key?

I have run into some issues with my Windows partition, so I want to reinstall Windows 7. I have a genuine copy of Windows 7 Ultimate Edition.

What I wish to do is to completely remove the Boot Camp partition, and then create a new one and install Windows 7 over it. However, I have only 1 product license key. When I reinstall Windows 7, it's going to ask for the product key, whih is obviously going to be denied because I have used it.

Is there any way I can acquire another key for this purpose? I am willing to pay a small fee, but I am definitely not willing to pay the full amount for a new Windows 7 copy.

Furthermore, and a little off-topic: Does anyone know if there are any compatability issues with the Windows 8 dev edition and Boot Camp? Can I use the support software for Windows 7? Will it be able to take advantage of the hardware? Will I get sound and internet? Will I be able to scroll with my trackpad?

Thanks.

[EDIT] I forgot to mention that the main reason I have to create a new partition instead of just Custom Installing over the previous one, is because I require a larger partition size.

Boot Camp-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Sep 18, 2011 9:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2011 9:30 AM

The retail version can be reinstalled as much as you want, even to a new computer (just not two at same time)

An UPGRADE needs to see a pre-existing Windows installed.

What you probably need though is CampTune $19 from Paragon instead to resize partitions (backup both partitions first should go without saying).

System Builder can also be reinstalled again and again. But not to a different motherboard.

Yes it will activate just fine on reinstall. Not an issue.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2011 9:30 AM in response to tarun.verghis

The retail version can be reinstalled as much as you want, even to a new computer (just not two at same time)

An UPGRADE needs to see a pre-existing Windows installed.

What you probably need though is CampTune $19 from Paragon instead to resize partitions (backup both partitions first should go without saying).

System Builder can also be reinstalled again and again. But not to a different motherboard.

Sep 18, 2011 12:35 PM in response to The hatter

Thanks for your help!

Not to be a pain, but I just want to clarify some things.

The hatter wrote:

Let's assume I do not have issues about reallocating disk space, and just want to re-do my whole partition. Here's what I would do. Please tell me if it would work fine, or if I would hit a snag somewhere:

• Have original retail W7 disk at hand (the one I previously used for my first install).
  • Remove existing partition using Boot Camp Assistant.
  • Re-install using the said disk.
  • W7 should activate without a problem, even though I've used the license before.

Do I have to do anything on Windows before re-installing it to "deactivate" the copy (or something along those lines) before I can re-activate successfully on my new install?

And what is System Builder?

Thanks for all your help!

Sep 18, 2011 8:50 PM in response to The hatter

OK, so I've run into a completely unexpected issue.

I erased my partition to create a new one, but when I try to do so, I get an error message from the Boot Camp Assistant saying that it is unable to move certain files. It wants me to reformat my hard-disk and try again.

After a quick Google search, I learned that this could be because the Assistant tries to move large files, but times out while doing so. So, with the help of Disk Inventory X, I have removed all the significantly large files on my computer. I have not, however, touched files/folders that the OS created (eg. files in the Library, etc). Still, it comes up with the same message.

I run Mac OS X 10.7.

I'd appreciate any help.

Sep 19, 2011 7:12 AM in response to tarun.verghis

Or know how to deal with Boot Camp Assistant.

Know you know.

Resize was too much? didn't see that you create and remove using BC Assistant? And not use Disk Utility.

And created the infamous issue with can't create partition. Which has been asked 2002 times.

Sorry. Left the resesrvation. Maybe someone else or maybe clone your drive and erase/restore. And buy Paragon CampTune and Rescue KIt. But start with CCC.

Can I reinstall Windows 7 on Boot Camp with the same product key?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.