Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shut down dialog box constantly pops up

I have a macbook air running Lion that constantly brings up the shut down dialog box. When I click cancel it goes away for a few seconds but then returns. Any one else have this problem or know how to solve it?

Thank you for any help.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Sep 18, 2011 10:06 AM

15 replies

Sep 18, 2011 3:54 PM in response to cpickrell

Thanks again. But still no, but I have some new information/insight into the problem. It only happens when inactive. If I am typing or keep a finger on the track pad, it won't try to shut down. I have checked the securtiy preferences to see if the "Log out after X minutes" is selected and it is not.

Thanks for any more help.

Mar 24, 2012 8:16 AM in response to ben1242

Hi,

I have the same issue now. Has anyone figured out how to stop it. I am currently taping down a random key with tape and it stops it. It's not running hot. Restting the SMC didn't do anything. Could it be that the power key is just broken? Seems like a hardware thing. Also, if I don't get to the dialog box soon enough and it shuts off it turns itself right back on. I don't think its the power key.

May 21, 2012 12:20 PM in response to ben1242

I took the macbook to a repair place that was not an apple store but did repairs on macs. They said it was the power button itself actually. They had to replace the keyboard though. It works totally fine now and they guaranteed it for a year. It was a quick repair. SADLY it cost around $400. Interestingly the repair person cautioned me to be careful of heat, to use the machine on solid surfaces and not let it overheat.

Just FYI, when the lap top was BRAND NEW it had a funky keyboard problem, when you hit a button it would do other things.. so they replaced the keyboard for free, it was only a few weeks old then. Now when this problem cropped up I took it back to apple since it had been less than a year since that replacement. They claimed the laptop had water damage based on some kind of funky stupid sticker, the kind they stick in cell phones. There was never any water spills on the laptop. I'm a grown person, if I had spilled something on it I would have suspected that caused the problem 🙂 Since when did THAT start...seemed really really like scam to me. So...I think I got a lemon from the start. This is second keyboard in less than a year. But, it was really the powerbutton.

Jul 25, 2013 6:01 PM in response to ptandkt

I'm so glad you suggested this. I've had this problem on and off for a long time now, and since my laptop is years old I am not about to spend $400 fixing it. I tried the whole holding a random key down f5 seems to do the trick and it seems to really do the trick! I'll definitely be putting on tape and since I don't use that key, I should be good to go! Thanks! 🙂

Shut down dialog box constantly pops up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.