Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac going to sleep, when not told to

My iMac is going to sleep dispite the Energy Saving set to the contrary.

Computer sleep: Never

Display sleep: 30min

Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible: unchecked

Dispite these settings my iMac goes to sleep and external hard drive goes to sleep as well.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Sep 18, 2011 11:40 AM

1 reply

Jul 21, 2013 6:58 PM in response to SoCal Web Developer

I have the same problem on several computers. Put drives to sleep is unchecked. Put computer to sleep, never. I'm editing in FCP, I move a little in the time line and everything has to come to a stop as I hear a hard drive spin up. Why did it spin down? Sometimes it has spun down literally seconds after I had stopped a playback. Opening a find window brings up all drives. After finding something I open it again, I have to listen to drives spin up again, seconds later. As I write this I heard a bunch of drives spin down. Its like I am getting the opposite of what I am instructing it to do.

I still operate on OSX 10.5, 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8. Today it has happened on both the 10.6 and 10.8 computer. On the 10.7 computer I returned a Raid system to the manufacturer because it kept going to sleep DURING a massive copy process (thus the process was always corrupted and never finished). Their tech support couldn't fix it then. So this is something consistent across all my computers for a long time. What else do I need to click to keep the drives awake?

iMac going to sleep, when not told to

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.