Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hitachi 7K500 / WD5000BEKT users

I have the original hitachi 320GB 5400rpm the came wit my 13" i5 macbook pro 2011.

I understand that the 5400 rpm and the SSD's drive will do better on the batteries than the 7200rpm.

I have read lots of reviews but i'm still not 100% sure which one of these two (Scorpio Black WD5000BEKT and Hitachi Travelstar 7K500) will be better as to the batterie life and heat.

I've tried the seagate XT and didn't like the noise of it plus all the firmware updates, so I'm down between these two WD and Hitachi.

Please, forgive me because this kind of question has been asked a lot, but I still have seen a straight answer from a mac user between regarding the usage of this two on the kind mac I have (only PC users).

Best Regards to all

MacPro1.1_PPCG5_MacBookpro 11_ipad2_Touch3rd_TC_Extreme, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 10GB ATI 4870 OWC SSD

Posted on Sep 18, 2011 11:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2011 11:57 AM

I have that exact Hitachi drive in two MacBook Pro's. Very happy & I've had zero problems/issues.

7 replies

Sep 24, 2011 4:25 PM in response to adamsyacht

Hi Adam,

Sorry for the delay to reply.

I don't have any issues with wifi with my macbook pro. I do have with battery even with the stock 5400rpm drive. I went to the apple store and they replace the bettery eventhough the previous bettery tested ok. They replaced with a new one because I had a case # with apple care, otherwise they wouldn't have done it.

Guess what? I still have the same battery problem (drains too fast) regardless, lion or SL, flash, no flash, bluetooth desabled, you name it, I gave up so I have the ac adpt. always near by. As far as to the HD upgrade I tried 3. WD500GB Black, Seagate XT, and the Hitachi 500 7200rpm. The Hitachi was the one I like the best. Less noise, vibration, power comsumption and speed. The WD came in second. I can't justify an SSD now since the laptop is not my primary machine, my macpro is and I have an OWC in it.

Hitachi 7K500 / WD5000BEKT users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.