Skip navigation

OS10.6 & OS10.7 (MM) won't mount BD, but OS10.5.8 (G4) will?

698 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2011 3:51 PM by phase52010 RSS
phase52010 Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Sep 18, 2011 9:12 PM

What I have: (the problem is explained below):

Model Name:          Mac mini

Model Identifier:          Macmini4,1

Processor Name:          Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed:          2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors:          1

Total Number Of Cores:          2

L2 Cache:          3 MB

Memory:          8 GB

Bus Speed:          1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version:          MM41.0042.B00

SMC Version (system):          1.65f2

Serial Number (system):          < Edited by Host >

Hardware UUID:          A8EBDDAE-BD8B-5AC7-8235-3AD66BF0EB5E

MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ240AS: (EXTERNAL USB connection)

Firmware Revision:          1.01

Interconnect:          USB

Burn Support:          Yes (Generic Drive Support)

Profile Path:          None

Cache:          2048 KB

Reads DVD:          Yes

CD-Write:          -R, -RW

DVD-Write:          -R, -R DL, -RAM, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW

BD-Write:          -R, -RE

Write Strategies:          CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

Media:          To show the available burn speeds, insert a disc and choose View > Refresh

OS: Either OS10.7 or OS 10.6.8, I can boot up in either.

The MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ240AS is connected via USB from which it gets it's power. Due to the limited USB ports on the Mac MIni have a USB HUB which I use to connect the MATSHITA.

I purchased the MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ240AS under 30 days ago, and it's taken me that long to get some blank BD-RE media to test it.

Problem:

When running EITHER OS10.7 or OS10.6.8 on the Mac Mini: (I can boot into either):

- The MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ240AS is recognised by the system, however if I load a BLANK BD-RE or BD-R the system will attempt to read them for a short period of time then spit them out. They do not mount.

- If I load a BD-RE will data burnt on it the system reads it for a short period then spits it out. It will not mount it.

- If I load a Region FREE commercial BD disc the system will recognise and mount it.

- If I load a Region LOCKED commercial BD disc the system reads it for a short period of time, then spits it out. It will not mount it.

However:

When I connect the MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ240AS to my ancient PowerMac G4 running OS10.5.8:

- The MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ240AS is recognised by the system, and will mount BLANK BD-RE and BD-R disc's. A message pops up and asks me what I would like to do with them.

- If I load a Region FREE commercial BD disc the system will recognise and mount it.

- If I load a Region LOCKED commercial BD disc the system will recognise and mount it.

I am at a loss to understand why the MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ240AS works so well on my old G4, and not on my year old (Intel) Mac Mini.

Is this an OS issue?

Is this a hardware ie: Mac Mini, issue?

Does anyone know what's going on and /or have a solution?

Happy to receive any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks.

Robert.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7), Netcomm NB6PLus4w Modem

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.