Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I print a selection off a website?

How do I print a selected portion of a webpage directly off the website? I don't see a "print selection" option.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Sep 18, 2011 8:04 PM

15 replies

Sep 19, 2011 5:46 PM in response to mtheiss126

If you mean that you want to print part of a web page with all the formatting intact, there's no built-in way to do that. You can of course create a text clipping by selecting part of the page and dragging to the Desktop, but the formatting willl usually be way off. You can also take a screenshot and print that, but the resolution will be poor.

Mar 24, 2013 11:30 AM in response to mtheiss126

I have been wondering this for a very long time... Then it dawned on me that I can open a PDF of the website from the print menu (bottom left-hand corner). I just open a preview of the PDF and then print the pages I want from there. I did not attempt to print a specific "selection," but it definitely saved some paper when the recipe I wanted to print had 13 pages of comments. Hope that helps!

Apr 10, 2013 7:42 AM in response to mtheiss126

This worked for me immediately after I followed all the steps.. OSX Lion 10.7.5, updgraded from Snow Leapard

You can get the select printing to work by selecting the text you want to print, then use the 2-finger secondary click gesture to bring up the secondary window, then chose "Print Selection"

Go here an download the dmg file.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/15601/print-selection-service

Follow these directions to get your select printing to work. These same instructions can be found on the webpage as the very 1st comment you come up to on the page.

1. CLOSE all open apps/programs. Very important!

2. Install the software

3. locate Print Selection.service inside Macintosh HD/Library/Services/Print Selection.service

NOTE: If blocked from seeing the contents of this Services folder due to system settings. Click the folder to select it, Cmd+i to get info, then go to the bottom of the window and click the lock icon and enter the administrator user name and password. Then change the user privileges to Read/Write and access the file.

3. Copy the application to Macintosh HD/System/Library/Services (optionally, copy it to your user's Services folder as well: /Users/[username]/Library/Services)

4. Log Out and Log back In

5. You may also need to Open Services Preferences (Safari-Services-Services Preferences), and in the Keyboard Shortcuts section, enable Print Selection.

There you go. Like I said this worked for me immediately after I followed all the steps.

Apr 14, 2014 5:39 PM in response to Tony2557

Not having any idea what I was doing, I followed these directions as written, and it worked! I can now print selections. Thanks for sharing, Tony 2557!

One note:

"5. You may also need to Open Services Preferences (Safari-Services-Services Preferences), and in the Keyboard Shortcuts section, enable Print Selection."

I didn't know where this was. Click on "Safari," then "Services," then "Services Preferences," and you will be able to complete that step. That's what it took for me.

How do I print a selection off a website?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.