Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

the Finder preference option is missing...

Hi,

I've recently taken over the support for an eductaion centre that has a OS X 10.5 network. Adminttidly it's been a while since I used 10.5 as most of the networks I support run 10.6 because its more stable. The company that previously supported the network wasn't playing ball when the support was tranfered and didnt give me enough time to upgrade before the new term so I'm looking to adapt the network.

The system seems to work fine although there are a few features that I can't seem to get around and was hoping soemone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

Finder, Preferenece missing

Admin controlers on the server and the local hard drives have no problem. When a network user logs in, the Finder Preferneces's is missing from the Finder menu.

I've looked through the User Group Preferneces config on the WGM but all seems to be fine. Can't seem to locate where to enable this feature.

Safari Preferneces General, Homepage option greyed out.

Safari has been modified to point to a web page that no longer exsists and this needs changing to the new current web address. The Admin controler, both on the server and the local hard drive is able to change this feature although, once again, the network users do not have accesst to this feature and I cant figure out how its been disabled.

Again, I've checked through WGM to see if there is an option to disable / enable this feature but I cant sem to find it.

What I do know is that there is a HP Compaq running Linux as a web filter on the network. Not something I've come across before and the network can not get a connection when this is off although the preference features are still the same. I had though that the Linux software might have been contoling this feature but as it still appears to be being controled when the filter is off, it appears unlikely.

Upgrading to 10.6

Hopeing that these feature may be default to enabled during an upgrage of the network terminals, I found that the dock had a problem loading the application from 10.5 server. I'm guseeing 105 server and 10.6 terminals arent too stable from past experience. The eduaction centre has a copy of 10.6 server although it appears to be a full version rather than an upgarde. In the past I've usually cloned from one server to another to keep the servers the same. I'm unsure whether this might do a clean install and wipe the current data on the server. If anyone has experience of this, I'd appreciate your input and advice.

Thanks

cwj

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Enable preferences...

Posted on Sep 19, 2011 2:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2011 12:07 PM

Preferences for network users are configured in WGM: select a user and click on the Preferences button in the toolbar. A group of managed preferences will show; clicking any of those preference items will bring up the options for each managed preference group. I don't see anything for managing Safari in there, but settings for pretty much everything else you describe are in there.

-Doug

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2011 12:07 PM in response to cwjones73

Preferences for network users are configured in WGM: select a user and click on the Preferences button in the toolbar. A group of managed preferences will show; clicking any of those preference items will bring up the options for each managed preference group. I don't see anything for managing Safari in there, but settings for pretty much everything else you describe are in there.

-Doug

Oct 17, 2011 1:05 PM in response to Douggo

Your a genius man!

It's all in the Details tab. Completely missed that one.

I've managed to release the home page on Safari across the network now but the preferenece access is still unavailable, even as a stand alone Admin User. It appears to be a feature removed on the actual device rather than a command executed from the server profile. So I'm going to try and copy a plist from a machine that hopefully, hasnt been tampered with.

So, that's one ticked off the list... please, wish me luck with the rest. You help was very much appreciated.

the Finder preference option is missing...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.