Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lion reinstall fail

ok so my computer boots up to the gray screen of death. apple logo and spinning wheel. i reboot into lions recovery partition and try everything. heres what happens during each step:

disk utility: when i clicked verify disk it said there were errors and needed repairs. when i repaired it said could not be repaired. after restarting and trying again i decided to verify permissions. bunch of errors but it wont let me fix permissions.

terminal: i try using a combination of chmod, chflags, chown, etc to fix permissions but nothing works, the drive is set to read-only.

reinstall lion: it says this drive is locked.

if anyone has any clue as to what i should do i have a beginners knowledge in unix and know my way around a laptop. please let me know, i've tried everything short of reformatting because important work i did during this past week is still on my hdd and i can see it but i'm not sure how to back it up through terminal or if i can just reinstall lion somehow without affecting my files or if there is a way to fix all my permissions problems.

thanks in advance for all your help!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Sep 19, 2011 5:43 AM

1 reply

lion reinstall fail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.