Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

displayport not displaying

I have a 2010 Mac Pro, with Radeon 5870. It is connected via DVI to viewsonic vp2365 23"

A 2nd monitor I bought later is the Dell U2311, recently connected via a mini displayport to displayport cable, no adapters

Now, when I boot up or when it is asleep, if I don't unplug the displayport cable, NOTHING shows up, but the computer is on. Then I have to do a forced shutdown via the power button.

According to the user guide, there is not configuration for 1 mini DP and 1 DVI display to be connected. I have the middle mini DP port unconnected, so it's only the end ones. I plan to get the Dell U2410 and have 3 monitors.

Help, anyone!!!

Also, I would like to get an nVidia 4000 card as a "boost" to the radeon 5870 and also to boost the Mercury plaback engine on Premiere. Does anyone know how to do this, as extra power is needed.

Thanks for any help.

Mac Pro (Westmere) 8-core 2.4 & MacBook Pro 15" 2.5 C2D 6GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.6.5), 2x64SSD raid, 2TB raid, 2x1TB for storage and bootcamp; 2x23" Vi

Posted on Sep 19, 2011 5:37 AM

2 replies

Sep 19, 2011 11:27 AM in response to Elvin Ho

I plan to get the Dell U2410 and have 3 monitors.

If you intend to connect 3 monitors to a 5x70 card be aware of the info in the following two docs:

Mac Pro (Early 2009), Mac Pro (Mid 2010): Supported display configurations

Mac Pro (Mid 2010), Mac Pro (Early 2009): Issues with three displays and multiple DVI, HDMI connections

Also, as previously stated, a 5870 utilizes both power adaptors so the only other video cards you can add are ones that don't require a power adaptor or you need to find some way to power it from an external psu if it does.

displayport not displaying

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.