10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 19, 2011 10:22 AM by lupunus
christopher gill Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Is it true I can no longer back-up my i-tunes library to disc. I've been told I have to use i-cloud AND pay a licening fee even though all my stuff stored on i-tunes are from cds I purchased myself from stores over the last few decades, I have never puchased one thing from the i-tunes store and NEVER will. Sounds like a rip-off to me!

• Limnos Level 8 Level 8 (43,035 points)

I have no idea as to what the newer iTunes can and cannot do, although if you read the forum here you'll see various things about burning discs in iTunes 10.  However, your music is just files on your computer.  There are many burning utilities (some free) that let you make CDs from collections of files.  It's just not as neat as doing it with iTunes (and for all I know it may still be possible with iTunes, just moved somewhere less obvious).  You might, for example, need to create a playlist in itunes, then open the playlist in a burning utility and do it in two steps.

I think iTunes is getting away from the disc backup thing because it is becoming impracticable with people having terrabyte size media collections and even a DVD only holding less than one percent of their library.  Or by "backup" did you not mean backup but just burning a CD?

• lupunus Level 3 Level 3 (995 points)

christopher gill wrote:

Is it true I can no longer back-up my i-tunes library to disc.

Yes, if disk is to read as "CD/DVD" and you want do it from within iTunes

No, if disk means a hard drive.

Yes, if you still want to backup to CD/DVD, you may perform that with Disk Utility.

The item "burn library to disk" as a backup tool was removed by reasons, e.g.:

1. Nowadays the iTunes library in almost all cases wont not longer fit on or two DVD's
    2. Noone wants to backup or restore the library using a bunch of CD's or DVD's counting up to 20, 40, 60 ... disks.

You are for sure able to backup your entire iTunes library just by copy the whole iTunes folder to different drive or use TimeMachine to backup it.

Lupunus

I edited my reply but was caught out out adding this in time because of a ASC system update:

One secret trick to keep the functionality of earlier versions is to simply not update iTunes. You don't have to install something just because they bring out a "better" and newer version.  From my perspective almost all of the "improvements" since itunes 7.5 were in being able to connect i-gadgets purchased from Apple, or media purchased from iTunes Music Store, neither of which I do.  I just stayed with the old version since my old machine is happier with it anyway.

• christopher gill Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I back up using a time capsule from Apple. Because of a "fluke" my i-tunes library erased itself earlier this year and my time capsule failed ( 0nly 5 months old). I was told at a genious bar tech incredibly bad luck and they replaced the time capsule for free since it was still under warranty. And as far as NOONe wants to back up the library, I have about 100 GBs on i-tunes so it would take 20 to 25 dvds to do it, I don't mind.

I quess like a fool I update every morning, And have been told even if I went into time capsule to re-load an earlier version of i-tunes my library has been changed by the new version of i-tunes and that will not work. The best thing a tech told me to do is buy "another back-up drive" preferably a solid state and back it up that way. I agree with another comment in another thread that Apple has gotten so big they don't really care as much as they use to about customers- what the heck they are as big as Exon- so why care!

No. I want to back up my entire library to dvds, it will take 20 to 25, no big deal to me.

christopher gill wrote:

And as far as NOONe wants to back up the library,

Christopher,

I not wrote "noone wants to backup" but noone wants to back up on a bunch of CD/DVD.

For example, I have a 221 GB iTunes library. Backing that up on DVD will end up in burning round about 56 DVD's.

That's ridiculous in a century a 1TB external hardisk will cost around 60$ and a portable 2TB raid 1 box will cost less than 200$

TimeMachine on a single drive like a TC is not a secure backup as you could learn recently. If the disk fails your backuped data is lost.

TimeMachine on a single external drive or TC is more or less a extended, catalogued history file with restore funktion.

A real backup is keeping the data redundant on more than one unit, normally with not less than 3 units involved (the working drive, a backup and a backup of the backup, e.g. on a raid system)

So, if you want a secure backup with TimeMachine you have to use a raid (at least raid 1 "mirror") unit as backup drive.

If you still want to backup your iTunes library on DVD's, you may use Disk Utility or a 3rd party burning application to do so.

Lupunus

• Roger Wilmut1 Level 9 Level 9 (71,315 points)

To back up your songs:

• Create a new playlist.
    • Drag all your songs to it.
    • Control-click the playlist and choose 'Burn Playlist to Disk'
    • When prompted choose Data disk.

or, to make a backup of the whole iTunes Folder (so including playlists, plays, ratings, images etc.) you will find that this won't fit on one DVD. The best way is to zip it first and then use a segmenting program to divide it. You can do this most easily with Split&Concat , or if you feel up to it there is a Unix method explained here (use on your own responsibility).

Those are 25 single-use DVDs. Let's say you get a good quality brand. That's 50 cents each or about $12 for a backup session.  Are you going to back up next week too? Another $12 because the DVDs are single use?  Or perhaps you never change tag information on your files or add new ones, and are super, super organized so you can just add stuff one DVD at a time (not me!)?  I wouldn't use inexpensive DVDs for backup because I have some and about 25% fail to even burn properly. I wouldn't use re-writable DVDs because they just aren't going to last that long. In the medium and long run it's cheaper to buy another external hard drive.  If you just do your backups at home you can even get something like a Voyageur Dock (check macsales.com) which lets you insert bare drives which really keeps the cost to a minimum since you just need one "enclosure" (actually a stand) for multiple drives.

Also, do you know how long you'll have to sit there to burn 25 DVDs?

Limnos wrote:

I wouldn't use re-writable DVDs

Not to forget, that not all optical drives on Mac's are able to burn re-writable media.