Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2012 Honda Civic - Bluetooth Background Noise When Making Calls

Recently purchased a 2012 Honda Civic and whenever I make a call, the person on the other side complains of excessive background noise. The complaints vary from lawmower to buzzing, etc. To remedy the problem, end up switching back to the iPhone. I can play songs via Bluetooh and they are clear as day but making calls is a different story. With that said, regarding calls, I can hear the person clear as day on my end.

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Sep 19, 2011 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2011 8:35 AM

It may be a fault in the microphone in the car. Have you tried any other phones with the system for comparison?

12 replies

Sep 19, 2011 8:40 AM in response to KiltedTim

My wife has a different Honda model and my phone works great with it, calls are clear on both ends. Plan to check with her iPhone4 today and see if results are the same. You might be right, could be a problem with the car's microphone. Found a similar post in a Honda Civic forum, gentleman took the car to the dealer and they tried to verify using a different phone, it worked without a glitch. I'll keep you posted after checking later today, I hope it's not my phone, not looking forward to a trip back to the Apple Store.

Oct 11, 2011 3:23 PM in response to LAsencio

Hi LAsencio,

Since having the mic replaced, has the issue resolved itself? I have the EXACT same problem with my 3GS in my new 2012 Honda Civic EX and the dealership has basically blown me off saying there's nothing they can do because they can't duplicate it at the shop. I'm not sure if it's coincidence or not, but I noticed that the sound is worse for people when I'm near power lines. The power lines that run along my route to/from work are lower than normal because they're doing a lot of construction along the highway. If my mic is already sensitive for whatever reason, that could enhance the problem.

Otherwise my bluetooth works fine; people sound good on my end and the music steams no problem.

Thanks for all your help!

Andrea

Oct 11, 2011 9:12 PM in response to drea9923

Andrea,

Had the mic replaced a couple of days ago and it solved my issues. The tech was able to reproduce the condition so that made things easier. I've placed calls at all speeds, near power lines and have not had an issue with the new mic. Honda is really good about things, give HQ a call if the dealer is not being responsive. Another option is to try a different dealer and see if they are willing to work with you. Have you tried other phones just to make sure it's not an issue with yours?

Sincerely,

LAsencio

Dec 2, 2012 10:36 AM in response to drea9923

I had a similar problem with Bluetooth calling in my 2011 C-RV: "squealing" prevented reception on the other end, while sound inside the vehicle was perfect.

After 3 hours spent at the dealer with the tech baffled, unable to reproduce the problem, I made one call from the parking lot before leaving and ... Squeal City! The culprit proved to be the POWER CABLE, but only when the iPhone was plugged into the power outlet beneath the audio system (too close to the Bluetooth hardware). When the cable was either unplugged or moved to the power outlet on the center console between the seats, the "squealing" noise went away.

I came upon this post searching the web for a shielded power cable (which I have yet to find ... help or suggestions appreciated).

As to a "whooshing" wind-like background noise, try pointing the AC vents down, away from the headliner and windshield.

Hope this is instructive.

May 28, 2013 7:54 AM in response to LAsencio

Holy crap! I can'tbelieve I found this. Yes, my wife says it sounds like there is a vacuum running in the background when I'm talking to her on my 4s in my 2012 Honda Civic EX.

I called my voicemail at work and left a message for myself. Sure enough, my recorded message came through clear, but the message I left had some funny sounds in the background.

The background sounds go away when I disconnect the phone from the car's Bluetooth.

So, replacing the car mic solved the issue?

2012 Honda Civic - Bluetooth Background Noise When Making Calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.