Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are my render files in my boot drive/root directory?

I have configured FCP to use an external drive for my Scratch Disk to render Video Capture, Audio Capture, Video Render and Audio Render as well as the Waveform Cache, Thumbnail Cache and Autosave Vault. Plenty of room on it and for the most part, I see a lot of render files on it, just like it should do.

However, if I leave FCP running for a while, it will start to auto-render again and does so placing tons of huge files on my local boot drive right on the root directory under a folder called "Render Files". It ends up filling up my boot drive every time and need to delete them.

I have searched everywhere to find where to configure this to move it to my scratch drive, but no joy.

How do I get FPC to render these files on a non-boot drive scratch disk?

Thanks.

Posted on Sep 19, 2011 11:50 AM

8 replies

Sep 19, 2011 2:07 PM in response to David Bogie Chq-1

That's possible that's it going to sleep. But I don't think so. The problem happens when I let the editor sit too long without doing anything in it (get up for a cup of coffee, using another application to generate some text effects, etc). Then its starts rendering on its own and does so only with the local boot drive/root directory.

When it comes back, the "green line" (Preview Render) is gone and the lines are replaced with dark blue, which I think indicates the sequence was rendered in the highest possible res/codec I have selected. That's fine, but why does it insist on using the local drive when I have another specified?

Why are my render files in my boot drive/root directory?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.