3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 20, 2011 8:26 AM by Old Toad
freekncreekn Level 1 (0 points)

Last night, after Faces within iPhoto had been running for a while, a dialog box popped up stating something to the effect that a critical error had occurred. iPhoto recommended doing a library rebuild to correct the problem. After letting that run all night, it had locked up this morning and was unresponsive. After doing a force shutdown for iPhoto, reopening iPhoto, the entire iPhoto library (which is around 45,000 pictures) is missing. I am unable to find it using Spotlight or the Finder. To make matters worse, either by user error (i.e. I goofed up and excluded it - although I don't see it in the preferences) or by glitch, Time Machine does not appeared to have backed up the iPhoto library in quite some time.

So my questions that I hope someone can help me with:

1. Any idea where the iPhoto library could be? I've tried using Find Any File and it's not finding anything.

2. If iPhoto library can't be found, how can I try to begin locating pictures manually?

3. Any other words of advice / instruction?

Thanks in advance for any help. I have lots of pictures that I am desperate to find.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)