3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 20, 2011 8:26 AM by Old Toad
freekncreekn Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Last night, after Faces within iPhoto had been running for a while, a dialog box popped up stating something to the effect that a critical error had occurred. iPhoto recommended doing a library rebuild to correct the problem. After letting that run all night, it had locked up this morning and was unresponsive. After doing a force shutdown for iPhoto, reopening iPhoto, the entire iPhoto library (which is around 45,000 pictures) is missing. I am unable to find it using Spotlight or the Finder. To make matters worse, either by user error (i.e. I goofed up and excluded it - although I don't see it in the preferences) or by glitch, Time Machine does not appeared to have backed up the iPhoto library in quite some time.

So my questions that I hope someone can help me with:

1. Any idea where the iPhoto library could be? I've tried using Find Any File and it's not finding anything.

2. If iPhoto library can't be found, how can I try to begin locating pictures manually?

3. Any other words of advice / instruction?

Thanks in advance for any help. I have lots of pictures that I am desperate to find.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)
  • 1. Re: iPhoto '11 library has disappeared.
    Old Toad Level 10 Level 10 (115,690 points)

Just so we're on the same page, you confirmed that the iPhoto LIbrary pacakge is not in your Pictures folder, right? If that's the case download  Find Any File and use it to search for "Library6.iPhoto". 

That's a file that is in every library. FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't, even inside packages.

Click to view full size

OT

• 2. Re: iPhoto '11 library has disappeared.
    freekncreekn Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Old Toad,

Correct, the iPhoto library package is not showing up in the Pictures folder. I downloaded FAF and searched for "Library6.iPhoto" and nothing shows up.

Old Toad wrote:

Just so we're on the same page, you confirmed that the iPhoto LIbrary pacakge is not in your Pictures folder, right? If that's the case download  Find Any File and use it to search for "Library6.iPhoto". 

That's a file that is in every library. FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't, even inside packages.

Click to view full size

OT

• 3. Re: iPhoto '11 library has disappeared.
    Old Toad Level 10 Level 10 (115,690 points)

It looks like you're in a world of hurt espectially since TM has no backup.  You could try running a file recovery application like SubrosaSoft FileSalvage which lets you run it in demo mode to see what it can recover, and see if you can recover your photos.