Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot repair permisions on external hard drive

I have a WD 2TB FireWire 800 hard drives (X3), and all are formated Mac OS Extended (Journaled). When I restarted my computer, I noticed my TM gave me an error message that the drive I selected for TM was locked. After further investigation, I could see that all my WD externals had listed Cutom for Privileges. Since I am an Administrator, I unlocked each vloume with my password, and attempted to change the Privileges back to Read + Write, but they kept changining back to Custom. One of the volumes is unchecked Ignore ownership on this volume, but all three volumes are acting the same. Is there any way I can recover my data and repair my privilges on all three volums? In Disk Repair, repair permisions is grayed out. I have not used the Terminal enough, but with the right assistance I will give it a shot.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 20, 2011 2:15 AM

7 replies

Sep 20, 2011 2:50 AM in response to bones1169

bones1169 wrote:

…In Disk Repair, repair permisions is grayed out…

That will be the case if there is no OS installed on each external drive. That's perfectly normal and expected behavior.

Click on the icon of each drive in question to select it in the Finder and do a Get Info (Command + I) to bring up the Info dialog box. You should be able to see and change the permissions at the bottom of that dialog box.

Cannot repair permisions on external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.