Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iChat Video Support Problems

Hello,

I facing a problem in iChat preventing me from using my built in iSight Camera. This used to happen once in a week, restarting Mac OS used to solve this problem.

Next to my display picture, I can't see the video chat logo, and if I click on it, a message appears telling me: "This computer does not support video chats".

I tried using the iSight camera for Skype, QuickTime, PhotoBooth, it works perfectly..

The screenshots below describes the problem.

User uploaded file User uploaded file

Thanks in advance,

AMDeeb

MacBook Mid 2010 |, Mac OS X (10.7.1), | iLife '09 | AirPort Express | iPhone 3G (4.2.1)

Posted on Sep 20, 2011 7:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2011 1:54 PM

Hi,

In iChat Menu > Preferences > Video Section > Bandwidth Limit Drop down what speed is set ?

If it is at NONE try 500kbps and restart iChat then try a Video chat.

If that does not work go to the View Menu of iChat and turn Off "Show Video Status" - Quit iChat then Reopen it and then reset Show Video Status. (Basically do things via settings that will give the .plist a jolt)

If that does not work use the Finder's Go Menu > Go to Folder and type in ~/Library/Preferences

IN the Preferences folder find com.apple.ichat.plist and drag this to the Trash and it's associated .lockfile and then restart iChat.

This .plist hold the speed the computer can "see" when iChat is started up.

Nominally it as as fast as your Internet is possibly capped by the iChat Bandwidth Limit.

User uploaded file
9:53 PM Tuesday; September 20, 2011

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb( 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2011 1:54 PM in response to AMDeeb

Hi,

In iChat Menu > Preferences > Video Section > Bandwidth Limit Drop down what speed is set ?

If it is at NONE try 500kbps and restart iChat then try a Video chat.

If that does not work go to the View Menu of iChat and turn Off "Show Video Status" - Quit iChat then Reopen it and then reset Show Video Status. (Basically do things via settings that will give the .plist a jolt)

If that does not work use the Finder's Go Menu > Go to Folder and type in ~/Library/Preferences

IN the Preferences folder find com.apple.ichat.plist and drag this to the Trash and it's associated .lockfile and then restart iChat.

This .plist hold the speed the computer can "see" when iChat is started up.

Nominally it as as fast as your Internet is possibly capped by the iChat Bandwidth Limit.

User uploaded file
9:53 PM Tuesday; September 20, 2011

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 MacBookPro 2Gb( 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Feb 17, 2012 12:39 PM in response to tloehr

You are welcome.

User uploaded file
8:39 PM Friday; February 17, 2012

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.3)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

iChat Video Support Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.