Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp partition with NTFS or FAT32?

Hi, everyone. This concerns a white MacBook running OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. I plan to install Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit edition on it by means of Boot Camp.

Regarding the Windows partition formatting choices of NTFS and FAT32, while the latter apparently facilitates the writing of data between the OS X and Windows partitions, a number of message threads have postings that indicate that the below software application would take care of the matter for NTFS:

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

Would there be any other reason for formatting the Windows partition using FAT32? For example, would a partition formatted with NTFS always show up on the OS X desktop with the name “Untitled”, or could it be renamed?

Posted on Sep 20, 2011 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2011 9:44 AM

Windows 7 requires NTFS and Boot Camp Assistant will do that for you.

13 replies

Sep 21, 2011 5:28 AM in response to Csound1

Not sure if DU can't, when I was using Paragon NTFS (2007) it would allow Disk Utility to do so. Not sure if there is any risk.

But if you aren't using Windows.... remove the partition in one of the supported methods.

You can also run Disk Utility to format the Boot Camp partition as NTFS, but you also need Paragon's NTFS for Mac

I would have said IF you have NTFS for OS X driver which I think is best and better than free versions, so whether you want to $$ or not.

Sep 21, 2011 9:06 AM in response to The hatter

Hatter,

I've used the open-source NTFS replacements (and even some shareware ones), but NTFS for Mac is more robust and causes no problems (corruption of the NTFS volumes, kernal panics) that the other solutions seem to eventually do. My recommendation comes from years of using their products and competing products. I was a Windows server admin in a previous life, so when I moved to the Mac arena in 2007, the first thing I looked for was interoperability between Windows and OS X, the reading/writing of NTFS being a major consideration.

With Paragon's NTFS for Mac installed, DU will show 2 additional options for partition formatting - NTFS and NTFS (compressed). Very helpful if you need so quick NTFS volume formatting, and you don't have time to boot into Boot Camp or hook up the volumes to a Windows machine (I also have 3 XP computers which I frequently use; the volumes formatted by NTFS for Mac work without incident with them).

Sep 21, 2011 9:20 AM in response to ScuseMe

ScuseMe wrote:

Sorry Csound, but I'm 100% right.

DU and OS X can read/write/format NTFS with Paragon's NTFS for Mac, a product I've been using for several years. That's exactly what I said in my post.

I would not recommend a 3rd party product unless I've used it extensively, and it offered a value above and beyond free tools.

Not natively, but it can with 3rd party additions, which I do not recommend, so we'll differ on that one. 🙂

And for Windows installs I prefer Microsofts own technology, and using it is well documented in the BootCamp documentation.

Nov 1, 2012 9:53 AM in response to John with a G4

Made the mistake of upgrading to Windows 8. A word to the wise, don't bother! Yes, it's just an opinion but there is a learning curve and it's almost a return to Vista. In any case, I needed to reestablish BootCamp and did so through the BootCamp utility. The issue arises when one attempts to install Windows 7 because a BootCamp partioned in FAT, will not work, and that's what you have staring you in the face. Although extremely apprehensive, I tried the Windows utlity available in the partition choice window and it corrected the problem. Initially, I became more apprehensive because it appeared that the partition name had been changed to something other than BootCamp. Not so . . . but didn't even look until I had everything installed. So a solution is certainly to use the Windows utility because you cannot move forward until the BootCamp partition has the proper format.

Boot Camp partition with NTFS or FAT32?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.