Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstall/Upgrade PowerMac G5

A few months ago I bought an Apple PowerMac G5 from an auction from a company that didn't survived the crisis.

It's a very nice piece of equipment, but I can't make full use of it because it has a admin password that nobody knows...

So I would like to reinstall or upgrade it (I didn't get any cd's with it). The problem is that it has an non-intel processor.

Specs (all from system profiler):

Model: PowerMac7,2

Processor: PowerPC 970 (2.2)

Memory: 4.5GB

More specs if needed.

So my real question is, how can I reinstall/upgrade my PowerMac, and what OS version can I use (highest). I would like to have a clean (new) mac after the install, because there is still a lot of crap on it from the last owner.

I hope somebody can help me, thanks in advance.

Renzo Noorlander

The netherlands.

Message was edited by: Nonsenz010

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.4.1)

Posted on Sep 20, 2011 10:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2011 1:29 PM

You might try the following:

Boot into single-user mode by holding down the cmd-S key combination at power up until you get to the black Unix terminal screen. Once there, type the following three commands:

/sbin/mount -uw / <enter>

rm /private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone <enter>

shutdown -r now <enter>

What should happen after the third command is a reboot into the Welcome interrogation, by which you will set up a new primary account with admin privileges. You will be able to define the password for that account and administer the computer as if it had just had the system installed. Be sure to include the period in the .AppleSetupDone filename.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2011 1:29 PM in response to Nonsenz010

You might try the following:

Boot into single-user mode by holding down the cmd-S key combination at power up until you get to the black Unix terminal screen. Once there, type the following three commands:

/sbin/mount -uw / <enter>

rm /private/var/db/.AppleSetupDone <enter>

shutdown -r now <enter>

What should happen after the third command is a reboot into the Welcome interrogation, by which you will set up a new primary account with admin privileges. You will be able to define the password for that account and administer the computer as if it had just had the system installed. Be sure to include the period in the .AppleSetupDone filename.

Sep 21, 2011 7:15 AM in response to old comm guy

Thank you very much, with your explanation it was a piece of cake!

Now I can finally use all of it's features. Since there are a lot newer programs not being supported bij MacOS Tiger, what is the latest version I could install on my PowerMac?

I heard it was Leopard, but the guy from the apple store here wasn't sure either, joking he uses Windows at home 😝

Thanks again!

Renzo Noorlander

Reinstall/Upgrade PowerMac G5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.