Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New folders not fully shared on SERVER

Hello Mac Experts <smile>

Scenario:

1. Brand new Mac Pro SERVER running 10.7.1 (Lion) with eight brand new IMac’s also running 10.7
  2. All end users have been set up in the “Server Application” on the server just fine.
  3. This server is ONLY a data server and all of the original data has been copied from the old Mac server to this new Mac server.
  4. End users have perfect full control over existing folders and files from old Mac server.

Problem:

New folders that are created on the shared hard drive on the server from any of the end users workstations do NOT have full read and write privileges.

I would REALLY appreciate someone pointing me in the correct direction. I am an A+ certified, MCSE and am new to Macs.

Thanks in advance <smile>

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.1), Full SERVER on a domain

Posted on Sep 20, 2011 10:42 AM

4 replies

Sep 20, 2011 12:50 PM in response to Marshall Merritt

Thank you very much for your reply………

However, I had already tried that a few hours ago and just now again. The permission are not propagating down to the end users accounts.

Also there are numerous others experiencing the very same issue with 10.7 (please see the following forum post link):

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3288643?start=0&tstart=0

Is this a flaw that needs correcting? I do not have enough experience with Mac’s to know whether it is me or a flaw in 10.7.1?

I’m still working on resolving this issue and I’m going to try some other suggestions. I will post here asap with my results <smile>

Sep 21, 2011 9:24 AM in response to tekman101101

Hi Everybody,

I just wanted to share a complete and very simple solution to this issue on 10.7.1 (Lion). I cannot take credit for discovering it………. but I found it at:

“Joey Gibson’s Blog”

http://joeygibson.com/2011/07/22/osx-lion-to-lion-file-sharing-not-working-how-t o-fix-it/

And he found it at another web site that he does not mention.

Anyway,

All you have to do is turn off AFP and use SMB instead.

(NOTE: I am working with 10.7.1 (Lion) this may not be an option on previous versions of OSX, I do not know for sure.)

Here is how I ran into this problem:

One of the companies that I support bought eight brand new IMac work stations and a brand new almost $6,000 Mac Pro server.

I copied all the existing data over from the seven year old Mac Server to the new server and setup the workstations. At first everything seemed fine. The end users were able to continue work just fine using all of their original data files.

But a problem soon surfaced:

Any and all NEW folders and files that were created going forward gave ONLY the creator (owner) full rights. Everyone else on the network had ONLY READ rights.

I double checked my configuration on the new server. Everyone was in a FULL ACCESS group, ACL’s configured properly and propagated rights down over and over.

But no matter how many fixes and modifications I made the RIGHTS on the server would NOT propagate down to the end users. This is a serious flaw in AFP (Apple Filing Protocol)

To correct this issue all I had to do was turn off AFP and use SMB (Server Message Block) protocol by itself………. A MICROSOFT standard for many years.

After completely turning OFF AFP and restarting the server and workstations all of the end users now have full access as they should have had using AFP.

Mar 21, 2012 2:00 PM in response to tekman101101

This is all very odd to me as EVERY single install of OS X 10.5, 10.6, and 10.7 have required me to set a root password before any root privilege is available. Both client and Server versions. I have NEVER had even one of the above mention OS ever use the first created admin's password for root. I have always had to go in and enable a root password before I can use su, sudo, or root login.

New folders not fully shared on SERVER

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.