Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

install mac os tiger on powerbook g4

Hi all

I have just received a 'old' powerbook g4 without harddrive. After I have installed a ned harddrive , it was ready for test. But what ever key I press (with the install dvd in the drive), the only screen to come up, was a blue one with to small faces in the middle. If I then pressed option key, a screen with a lock (locked) and password field appeared on the screen.

What is wrong?

And how can I install Mac os (is my cd broke).

My powerbook g4:

1.33MHz

1 Gb ra

80 GB HD

Posted on Sep 20, 2011 11:48 AM

23 replies

Sep 20, 2011 11:52 AM in response to SophiEllen

This appears to be an Open Firmware Password from your description. I'm assuming you have tried to boot from the installer disc and the password prompt appears immediately so that you cannot boot from the installer disc?

Booting From An OS X Installer Disc

1. Insert OS X Installer Disc into the optical drive.

2. Restart the computer.

3. Immediately after the chime press and hold down the "C" key.

4. Release the key when the spinning gear below the dark gray Apple logo appears.

5. Wait for installer to finish loading.

Sep 20, 2011 1:34 PM in response to SophiEllen

SophiEllen wrote:

Yes.

I don't think it is possible to get the password.

But I've read this here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=976252

"All you have to do is change the amount of RAM in the computer, and it will reset it"

Will this work?

Almost. You need to boot holding the cmd-option-P-R key combination down as for a PRAM reset, but keep them held down until you hear the boot tone three times. After a memory configuration change, doing that should clear an Open Firmware password.

Sep 27, 2011 1:21 PM in response to Kappy

Okay....or maybe not.

I get a new install cd.

But with that, there comes more seriously problems.

I was able to past the Apple logo; but every time a screen says: You need to reboot . And then I reboot, and then it says it again.

After 10 times, I manages to install mac os tiger (without any problems).

But after I reboot the machine, at get very stock: the system hang all the time, or I get system failure message (see picture).

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-yKCR9i_ejxs/ToIsXsRwr0I/AAAAAAAAAR8/yhb4jMSDv 2Y/s640/IMG003.jpg

My conclusion is: I need to run a hardware test - maybe the machine is broke!

What would you think?

Sep 27, 2011 2:01 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks..

But which version do i need for my g4 1.33?

Apple Hardware Test (Power Mac G4) - Size 11 MB AHT for Power Mac G4 Version 1.2.6, for use with Power Mac G4 (Gigabit Ethernet), Power Mac G4 (Digital Audio), Power Mac G4 (QuickSilver), and Power Mac G4 (QuickSilver 2002), added support for the NVIDIA GeForce2 Ti video card with (Gigabit Ethernet and Digital Audio) systems, Power Mac G4 (QuickSilver 2002ED), and PowerMac G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors)

or

Apple Hardware Test (PowerBook) - Size 10 MB Apple Hardware Test for PowerBook Version 1.2.3, for use with PowerBook (FireWire), PowerBook G4, PowerBook G4 (Gigabit Ethernet), PowerBook G4 (DVI) and PowerBook G4 (1GHz/867MHz) systems.
Download Now

???

install mac os tiger on powerbook g4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.