Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPAD NO WIRELESS PASSWORD PROMPT

My wife's Ipad 1 will not allow for a password to be entered when joining a wireless network. Only the "Couldn't Join" message and a dismiss option. How can I get a password prompt?

Posted on Sep 20, 2011 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2011 2:17 PM

Does the network you're trying to join show a little lock icon beside it, indicating that a password is required? If not, then no p/w is required for it, which is the good answer for you, or there might some issue with the network itself, which you can do nothing about on your end.

If it does, then I think you must have some iOS issue going on, assuming that you have the same issue on other networks that show the lock icon. In that case I'd try the below things in more or less the stated order. Check and see if any step fixes your problem and, if it does, don't continue. First,

a. Try simply powering the iPad down (press and hold Sleep/Wake, then slide the red slider, etc.) and back on, see if the situation persists. If it does, then

b. Cycle various settings in Settings > General > Wifi and > Networks, seeing is you can make whatever is latched up unlatch itself. This will sometimes help.

c. Try going to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

d. Try a Reset (System or Forced) by pressing and holding both the Home and Sleep/Wake buttons for about 10 seconds. Ignore the red slider when it appears, then when you see the white Apple logo appear on the blank screen you can release the buttons and allow a normal boot up to proceed.

If still no luck at that point, you may have little left to try except for a fresh load of iOS and restoring from a backup.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2011 2:17 PM in response to gman76

Does the network you're trying to join show a little lock icon beside it, indicating that a password is required? If not, then no p/w is required for it, which is the good answer for you, or there might some issue with the network itself, which you can do nothing about on your end.

If it does, then I think you must have some iOS issue going on, assuming that you have the same issue on other networks that show the lock icon. In that case I'd try the below things in more or less the stated order. Check and see if any step fixes your problem and, if it does, don't continue. First,

a. Try simply powering the iPad down (press and hold Sleep/Wake, then slide the red slider, etc.) and back on, see if the situation persists. If it does, then

b. Cycle various settings in Settings > General > Wifi and > Networks, seeing is you can make whatever is latched up unlatch itself. This will sometimes help.

c. Try going to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

d. Try a Reset (System or Forced) by pressing and holding both the Home and Sleep/Wake buttons for about 10 seconds. Ignore the red slider when it appears, then when you see the white Apple logo appear on the blank screen you can release the buttons and allow a normal boot up to proceed.

If still no luck at that point, you may have little left to try except for a fresh load of iOS and restoring from a backup.

IPAD NO WIRELESS PASSWORD PROMPT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.