Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dual monitor profile problem

Macbook pro 4,1 , epson 4800, Dell 24" wide gamut display and I'm having the exact same problems as this 3 year old thread!!!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1530330?answerId=7289716022#7289716022

Can't print using profiles as wrong profile gets applied. This all happens with laptop NOT in clamshell mode, which I prefer so that I can use all screen real estate.

Posted on Sep 20, 2011 2:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2011 6:52 PM

Call Epson support and see if they can give you a complete trouble-shooting algorithm.

The following works for me (I don't think it will work for you, but it may give some leads to explore):

- I keep the menu bar on my laptop

- I put Aperture on my wide-gamut monitor (NEC PA271W)

- I keep secondary display set to "Desktop"

- I never run full-screen

- I confirm the monitor profile at least once a day, and every time I change monitors (I work in two locations, ea. with an external monitor). By "confirm" I mean that I re-assign the profile, not that I re-calibrate the display.

- I have the external monitor connected directly with an mfr-supplied mini-DisplayPort (iirc) to DisplayPort (iirc) cable. This was important.

- I had to take some care with the Epson set-up. All I can suggest here is most recent drivers. I first got the USB connection to finally work, and then got the Ethernet connection to work properly as well.

I mention all of that because in the thread you linked there are comments about both the external monitor not using the correct profile, as well as the printer not using the correct profile.

I would first confirm (you likely already have) that the printer works properly printing from Aperture with no external monitor. After that, things get tricky.

What I picked up from some poking around and talking with knowledgeable people is that OS X does not do a good job with color. (I was surprised.)

Sorry I don't have any real help to provide. Good luck.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2011 6:52 PM in response to westerneyes

Call Epson support and see if they can give you a complete trouble-shooting algorithm.

The following works for me (I don't think it will work for you, but it may give some leads to explore):

- I keep the menu bar on my laptop

- I put Aperture on my wide-gamut monitor (NEC PA271W)

- I keep secondary display set to "Desktop"

- I never run full-screen

- I confirm the monitor profile at least once a day, and every time I change monitors (I work in two locations, ea. with an external monitor). By "confirm" I mean that I re-assign the profile, not that I re-calibrate the display.

- I have the external monitor connected directly with an mfr-supplied mini-DisplayPort (iirc) to DisplayPort (iirc) cable. This was important.

- I had to take some care with the Epson set-up. All I can suggest here is most recent drivers. I first got the USB connection to finally work, and then got the Ethernet connection to work properly as well.

I mention all of that because in the thread you linked there are comments about both the external monitor not using the correct profile, as well as the printer not using the correct profile.

I would first confirm (you likely already have) that the printer works properly printing from Aperture with no external monitor. After that, things get tricky.

What I picked up from some poking around and talking with knowledgeable people is that OS X does not do a good job with color. (I was surprised.)

Sorry I don't have any real help to provide. Good luck.

Sep 21, 2011 8:53 PM in response to westerneyes

You're welcome.

One additional word of caution: I have not upgraded to Lion, and remain wary, in particular becuase of its "many programs run full-screen" feature. I had thought that Aperture's problems with full-screen mode wreaking havoc on the profiles was because it was "pre-figured" for Lion. That hopeful conception got batted aside like an infirm gazelle.

Message was edited by: Kirby Krieger -- minor rephrasing.

dual monitor profile problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.