Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't my MacBook automatically detect network location

I have two network locations on my MacBook, one for my school's wireless network and settings, and another for everything else. I cannot properly connect to the school network when on the other network location, nor to any other network when on the school location so have to continuously change the network location (annoying!!). However, my iPhone is able to atomatically connect to the school network (once the proper settings are entered) as well as my home network.

Why is my iPhone able to do this switching so easily but my MacBook requires me to set the location before it can connect?

Is there a way I can make the MacBook behave like the iPhone and automatically connect to either of the networks, without me having to set the network location?

Cheers.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Sep 21, 2011 12:26 AM

5 replies

Sep 21, 2011 1:25 AM in response to appleiser

System Preferences, Network, Advanced , Remember networks this computer has joined is ticked.

Still doesn't work, then do a PRAM reset.

1. Turn off your Mac hold CMD OPTION ( Alt ) P + R.

2. Go to System Preferences, Network, Advanced. Delete the current networks and re join when you can.

Should work.

If not try doing an SMC in addition to point 1. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

Sep 21, 2011 5:23 AM in response to Ethereal Tech

Thanks for the advice.

Maybe my original post wasn't clear. By network location, I do not mean wifi network. In network preferences, right at the top, there is a location drop-down menu.

In this menu, I have two locations, Home and School. When on the Home location, I can connect to the wifi network at home but if I am on this location at school, I get the popup box with available networks. If I change the network location at this point to the School location, the computer is able to connect to the wifi network without me choosing the network.

THIS SEEMS TO BE NORMAL, EVERYONE HAS THIS WITH THEIR COMPUTER

This is not an issue with remembering the network or trying to connect when it is available. Its just that it can't connect if the location is set to the wrong place... must have something to do with the search domains or proxies as these are different for the two different locations.

Any other suggestions?

Why can't my MacBook automatically detect network location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.