Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Folders not showing up in Finder?

I've recently bought an iMac (21.5") and have been transferring all my music from the old PC to it via an external hard drive (format: MS-DOS (FAT32), 1tb).

I've noticed that some folders just don't show up in Finder. I have no idea why - they are exactly the same as every other folder on the hard drive ie. a folder containing an album with mp3s (same format of audio as all the other folders). It's definitely not a space problem.

It's a real nuisance as there may be more folders that haven't showed up that I'm not aware of (I only found out by chance that some were missing when I was specifically looking for them), I have a LOT of music.

Note: the folders show up when plugged into the pc.

Some help around this issue would be great. I have tried verifying/repairing the hard drive via Disk Utility, and deleting & re-adding the albums from the pc to the hard drive again. They still don't show up. (they're not hidden either). I also googled but couldn't find anything.

I wasn't sure whether to post this under the iMac or the OS section.. I'm running Lion 10.7.1 if it helps. Hopefully someone will be able to help me!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Sep 21, 2011 1:25 AM

20 replies

Sep 22, 2011 1:33 AM in response to christinacn

Hi Christina, The folders with special charactars in their names should be visible. Probably the characters are misformed by the transfer from the PC to the Mac. Make a new folder with the same characters in the name and see that it is visible. You then have to change the 'misformed' characters of all folders.

When you want to change characters in names for a number of files/folders at the same time, use a renamer like "A Better Finder Rename" and check it in "services", so that you have it under <services> in the (right click) contextual menu (it works on files as well as folders). Keep us informed. Lex

Sep 22, 2011 4:53 AM in response to Fortuny

Hmm. I created a new empty folder in Finder with "foreign characters" and there were no problems. So I guess it's nothing to do with that after all. Lex, I had a look at "A Better Finder Rename" but the problem is that I am unable to see/access the folders - and thus unable to use this program to rename.

I'm at a loss really, and I'm thinking it may just be easier to make new folders for all of them and copy the mp3s into them.

Sep 23, 2011 9:32 PM in response to Fortuny

Ok, that worked to see hidden files, but the folders still didn't show up. (Not surprised, I didn't think they were hidden anyway).

This is such a bizarre issue! I renamed the folders to all plain English letters instead of the original names which included some foreign letters (I did this via the pc), and now they show up when the hard drive is plugged into the mac. So I think I'll just leave them like that, copy them to the mac hard drive and rename them back to the original names later. It's still strange that this happened in the first place though. Now I'll have to check every folder with foreign characters on the pc and do the same thing. (sigh)

Thanks for your help. If you have any more suggestions please do let me know! Hopefully there is an explanation/easier way around this.

Christina

Sep 25, 2011 1:24 AM in response to christinacn

When you don't see them, and probably you have a lot, can you stille select them on the Windows machine? If so, in Windows there is a rename possibility (you have to search google) that can change names like "A better Finder Rename" in Mac, I forgot the name..., that you can use: list them, run the rename Utility, let it change all the special characters into the same letter without the accents, and when you retransfer the folders the characters should not be corrupted.

Folders not showing up in Finder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.