Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB 3G tether connection does not work when pc is connected to other network

Hey guys, this problem is wrecking my head. I have searched and searched, but can not find a soloution.

What I have:

Windows XP Laptop

MBP 15"

Iphone 3gs

iphone USB cable

Apple 2TB time machine - not connected to internet, just used as a hardrive

What Works:

When out and about, and my iphone is connected to the laptop, the tethering works as normal. It creates the "iphone network connection" etc and works great. My wireless card is turne off and I have no other connection plugged into the ethernet.

Problem starts when:

1. Arrive home
  2. Turn on Wireless Card
  3. Connect to Time Machine via WiFi
  4. Aqquire IP address
  5. The iphone connection is still plugged in and connected, BUT there is no internet connection / activity
  6. I have to turn off the wireless and disconnet from my file server if I need to get back online to check email etc. Totally annoying!

Questions

• Why does it work fine and then only crap out when connected to another network (another network that is not connected to the internet)
  • I checked the connection bindings and the iphone connection is top of the list
  • What is the solution.

Cheers and thanks 🙂

iPhone 3GS

Posted on Sep 21, 2011 6:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2011 8:51 AM

it's not an apple thing it's a windows thing

windows automaticly connect to the fastes network the same issue is present if you have internet over wifi 54Mbit and a 1Gbit wired network which is not connected to the Internet the windows pc will use the fast 1Gbit wired network to try to reach the Internet and fail

http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-2000/change-the-interface-metric-on-a-ne twork-adapter/

this guide is how to do it in vista or win7 or something but it's the same with XP

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2011 8:51 AM in response to richiebuttle

it's not an apple thing it's a windows thing

windows automaticly connect to the fastes network the same issue is present if you have internet over wifi 54Mbit and a 1Gbit wired network which is not connected to the Internet the windows pc will use the fast 1Gbit wired network to try to reach the Internet and fail

http://www.windowsreference.com/windows-2000/change-the-interface-metric-on-a-ne twork-adapter/

this guide is how to do it in vista or win7 or something but it's the same with XP

USB 3G tether connection does not work when pc is connected to other network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.