Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does ical delete my past events when all settings indicate that it should not?

All of the boxes, about deleting past events, in ical preferences are unchecked, so I can't figure out why ical deletes my past events. Could it be because of a setting on either my iphone or ipad causing this to happen?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Snow Leopard

Posted on Sep 21, 2011 8:34 AM

9 replies

Jan 9, 2012 10:21 AM in response to jasonfrommeridian

I had the same problem a few weeks ago and called apple support. The solution is as follows:

Most apple users have multiple devices using icloud such as an iPdad, iPhone, and other computers. In my case, I had two computers, two iPads, and one iPhone. After speaking to apple support, I realized that one of my ipad's setting were set to delete events older then 2 weeks. In short, if you are expeirienceing problems with ical deleteing events, you better check all your devices. If just one of them is set wrong in your preferences, you will lose past events. Even check computers you gave to your cildren or other members of the family. You will probably find out that the settings on one of these machines is causing your problems.

Jan 10, 2012 5:03 AM in response to jasonfrommeridian

I have been trying to re-insert all my lost events. I've copied some old calendar files (retrieved from my time capsule) onto my desktop. When I double click on an .ics file, that event momentarily appears on my calendar. Just what I want .... but then it promptly disappears again. It happens again and again, with every .ics file.

I inserted a test event, a couple of years ago, and that's still there .... so I've solve the problem of it not deleting old posts - but how do I get my backup .ics files back into my iCal?

Why does ical delete my past events when all settings indicate that it should not?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.