Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connectivitiy with Displayport

Hi there

Almost everybody understood now that Apple tech specs state that the new Thunderbolt display requires a Thunderbolt enabled Mac (at least for full feature list as docking functionality).

On the other hand Thunderbolt standard seems to be still somehow compatible with the displayport standard.

Beside my main use of the Thunderbolt Display connected to my new Macbook Pro, I would highly appretiate to be able to connect my PC Laptop (with display port connection) from work or older Macs with Mini Displayport at home.

It really dosn't seem to make sense to buy another additional external display for that purpose. I'd be happy to only get the video signal from the Displayport to the Thunderbolt Display.

There are adapters out which could almost do the job, but the one I found seems to be limited to max. resolution 1080p, not sure if it works on the Thunderbolt Display at all. http://www.logilink.eu/showproduct/CV0040.htm

Apple (or anybody else out there) please release an adapter that allows to play full resolution on the Thunderbolt Display. If there is such thing and I simply could't find it, please let me know.

Thanks a lot, I might not be the only one with that on the wishlist.

Cheers

T

PC / older Mac-OTHER

Posted on Sep 21, 2011 11:38 AM

2 replies

Sep 21, 2011 8:56 PM in response to Thomas Braun1

Well, you pretty much already know your answer.... there is not any device or connection for that configuration.

To drive the Thunderbolt display, your computer Must have the TB hardware to be able to properly communicate and control another TB device.

Another feature of the TB hardware on the newer machines is that it can still communicate back with the previous legacy (mDP) format.

But if you connect a PC laptop with DP (even IF you managed to get to a mDP connector) to the Thunderbolt Display, it would Not have any of the hardware or software technology to know how to communicate in the new Muxed ThunderBolt format (cable).

User uploaded file

Sep 21, 2011 10:50 PM in response to ToothpickProductions

So the PCI Express "strings" which are "mixed" in the same cable and on the same connector-pins "confuse" the Displayport signal, if I understood your posted graphic correctly.

Fair enough, we probably can't have everything... At least we have a clear answer to that question, that is helping me to understand, why it won't work properly (and even non-tech people should understand). So far the aswers I found were limited to a clean "doesn't work".

Thanks for your answer

T

Connectivitiy with Displayport

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.