Skip navigation

Edit after sync the audio

375 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 31, 2012 12:57 PM by Kansasboy63 RSS
JubsTO Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Sep 21, 2011 11:39 AM

I have imported a video into Imovie 09 which was not synced from the beginning. I made an event with the imported video, detached the audio, and synced it with the video. And now I want to edit the event but can't lock the audio to the video and each part of the video that I cut the audio is not cut with it. Apparently in iMove 09 the audio can not be locked/pinned to the video. Any suggestions?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.7)
  • elikness Level 4 Level 4 (2,635 points)
    Sep 21, 2011 12:06 PM (in response to JubsTO)

Is the audio track green? And did you attach it directly to the clip itself or is it underlying the whole background of the Project timeline. If you drag a clip directly dead center on top of a video clip, it becomes what's called a soundtrack and will stay in position as you move the video clips up and down the timeline. It also will appear in a bright green floating box just below the video track that it's attached to. Otherwise it will become a 'background music track' either purple (pinned) or green (floating).

For example look at this:

Screen Shot 2011-09-21 at 3.01.13 PM.jpg

The green bars are soundtracks, and are more or less pinned to the video clip immediately above them. The Purple background soundtrack is pinned into the point in time along the Project timeline and will not move, it is pinned to that timecode.

Sep 21, 2011 12:11 PM (in response to JubsTO)

The other thing is to delete that background track, bring it back into the project and drop it into position back on top of the Video clip. And slide it left and right to re-sync it. It's your choice, use your best judgement. I think either way the quality might be the same.

Sep 21, 2011 12:51 PM (in response to JubsTO)

Maybe it would make sense to create a version first with the audio synced up properly, then export that. Then in QuickTime X trim the ends off so you get the shortened version you are looking for. QuickTime can trim beginning and end bits of a video clip by using the Edit Menu > Trim command:

Screen Shot 2011-09-21 at 3.49.39 PM.png

Then once it's shortened you can save that Movie from QuickTime X, then do whatever you want with it.

Sep 21, 2011 1:11 PM (in response to JubsTO)

It's often the case on the Mac OS that there's always more than one way to do things. Good Luck.

• Kansasboy63 Calculating status...
    Oct 31, 2012 12:57 PM (in response to JubsTO)

That QuickTime answer for trimming off synced video/audio just helped me. Too bad iMovie 09 isn't set up to easly trim video and audio that has been synced up. 

Does anyone know . . . . is iMovie 11 upgraded to be able to trim video/audio that has been synced together?

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.