Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why has the latest iTunes (10.4.1.10) disabled my keyboard music control buttons unless iTunes is the active window? Do I need to roll back to the previous version of iTunes? Worked perfectly before I updated.

Hi,

Can anyone please explain why the latest iTunes (10.4.1.10) has disabled my keyboard music control buttons unless iTunes is the active window? Everything worked perfectly before I updated iTunes a couple of days ago.

I am using Windows XP Home (SP3) and a Dell (Y-RAQ-DEL2) bluetooth keyboard and mouse set (see image) with SetPoint software (I've adjusted settings to the new iTunes) and I do appreciate that it's an ancient keyboard but I've never had any issues with it, nor using the on keyboard music controls to operate iTunes (when iTunes isn't the active window).

Since the iTunes update, I have to keep switching windows back to iTunes to use my keyboard to switch tracks, stop, play, pause etc. It's frustrating. The mute button, volume control and button with the musical note (that opens iTunes) all work regardless of what window is active. I don't understand it. I do not want to use keyboard shortcuts/hotkeys etc. I just want the specific controls already on my keyboard for this purpose to actually work and I know that the keyboard is not the issue as they work when iTunes is the active window.

Could anyone advise me how to correct this? If it's even possible to correct? Do I need to roll back to the previous version of iTunes?

I appreciate any input.

Many thanks,

Laura

User uploaded file

iPhone 3GS, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on Sep 21, 2011 11:23 AM

1 reply

Sep 21, 2011 2:48 PM in response to sapphireoceans

Check this thread out -> iTunes 10.4 & Multimedia Keyboard

It doesn't look like there is a fix yet, but some people in the thread are pointing to this workaround:

pikot wrote:

Following some suggestion i seem to have found a solution for the problem and my play/pause, next and previous buttons work with iTunes 10.4.1

- You need to open a text editor (like notepad) as an administrator.

- Open the SetPoint players.ini file (C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPointP\players.ini)

- Edit the line under the [Players] section to match the line bellow (bold is the wndClass which is to be changed)

iTunes=wac,iTunes.exe,ITWindow,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx,0,1,iTunes

- Save the file

- Restart the SetPoint and hopefully play/pause, next and previous buttons should work (at least they work for me)

Why has the latest iTunes (10.4.1.10) disabled my keyboard music control buttons unless iTunes is the active window? Do I need to roll back to the previous version of iTunes? Worked perfectly before I updated.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.